A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Misfire

More
6 years 5 months ago #14726 by EricGoodrich
Misfire was created by EricGoodrich
Had a 2006 ( I think... ) Ford Taurus come in the other day with a misfire. It was random but happened often enough it could easily be observed. Misfire happened at idle and while driving. P0302 stored.

Clear-flood cranking was consistently even so I didn't perform a relative compression test.

Using a Pico I graphed exhaust pressure at tail pipe ( for synching the misfire to the waveform ), fuel injector voltage cylinder 2, primary coil current parade, secondary ignition cylinder 2.

Red is primary, blue is injector, green is secondary, yellow is exhaust pressure.

This is zoomed in. Oscillations during primary turn-off led me to perform an ignition tune up due to a suspected failure of plug wires.

Performed tune up and all is good.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Dylan, Andy.MacFadyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14823 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Misfire
Cool! Thx for sharing. Don't wanna be an ass but you can save your files on Pico as jpg. Much better quality then taking a picture. Keep em coming ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: EricGoodrich

More
6 years 5 months ago #14833 by EricGoodrich
Replied by EricGoodrich on topic Misfire
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time. Doesn't make you an ass. An ass would know but not say anything.

What would be awesome is if we could upload the actual Pico waveform file so anyone could view it in their scope software. That would be great for reference waveforms.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14850 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Misfire

EricGoodrich wrote: What would be awesome is if we could upload the actual Pico waveform file so anyone could view it in their scope software. That would be great for reference waveforms.

Maybe this?

Noah wrote: Tyler turned me on to Scanshare.io
You can upload your data pids there and just put a link in your post for anyone interested to have a look.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14865 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Misfire
It is worth remembering that any Windows 8 or 10 computer will save a screen shot with "Ctrl and Prt Sc" or you can load a free program called "Greenshot" on just about any Windows computer.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: EricGoodrich

More
6 years 5 months ago #14881 by EricGoodrich
Replied by EricGoodrich on topic Misfire

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: It is worth remembering that any Windows 8 or 10 computer will save a screen shot with "Ctrl and Prt Sc" or you can load a free program called "Greenshot" on just about any Windows computer.

Thanks but for some reason that didn't work for me. Holding the Windows key and pressing print screen did. The image was saved automatically in my pictures folder.

I appreciate the help guys. Now I can upload pictures that can actually be seen.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15556 by MuhammadAli89
For Primary Ignition Waveform; we have to back-probe at Power Feed Wire (B+) or at Ground Wire?
3or4 Wires COP; Signal Wire just shows trigger On-Off? it doesn't form Primary Waveform?
For Secondary Waveform; we have to use HighTension cable to see the Waveform?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by MuhammadAli89. Reason: I noticed it needs more clarity in my questions.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15558 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Primary Ignition Waveform

MuhammadAli89 wrote: For Primary Ignition Waveform; we have to back-probe at Power Feed Wire (B+) or at Ground Wire?

Back probe the coil GROUND. When the control is turned off, you will see battery voltage. When control is switched on, the battery voltage seen will drop to zero as the coil charges. When the control is switched off again, the magnetic field inside the coil will collapse, creating a voltage spike of about 400v.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MuhammadAli89

More
6 years 4 months ago #15559 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Primary Ignition Waveform

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds