A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scanner Snap On Modis

More
6 years 6 months ago #14065 by joshuamal
Hello all,

I want to ask your opinion on an older Snap On Modis EEMS300 not sure if anyone has experience on them and just looking for advise on it as to how these performs based on someone else experience. I'm a diyer and from time to time i'm in need of a scanner that i can do live data, graphing and any other bidirectional controls not wanting to spend lot of money on it as it's for the weekend jobs. The snap on dealer told me it has 12.2 software so i'm assuming its up to 2012 which would be more than enough for me, also the selling price its 700 . Below is a link to the scanner im referring to.

buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/modis-system.asp

Also she has a snap on solus edge with 15.2 software at a cost of 1700 but not sure if i should go that route as i think to me it's a little expensive being that is not something i will be using all the time. I'm sure it's probably a much better tool and newer.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 6 months ago #14079 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Scanner Snap On Modis
I had one for a while, it's a very capable scan tool and a good scope.
It can be cumbersome to navigate at times, and the battery life is notoriously short, but I think you'd be pressed to find more tool for that kind of money.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 6 months ago #14080 by juergen.scholl
Joshuamal,

the modis is a pretty complete tool, apart from being a scanner and one of the better 4 channel scopes it includes so much more..

One of the most neglected functions even by profesionals is it's graphing multimeter capabilty, with superb glitch catching ability.

The software includes the component information database which often is a real time saver.

The 2012 software will cover vehicles up to 2011, not 2012.

The battery live can be extremly short on these older units, you could get the battery rebuilt if you wanted.
Another item to consider is the screen visibility. Even then new machines were quite challenging to read in sunlight and the background lighting degrates with age.

If these points proof out to be o.k. then just GO FOR IT.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14083 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Scanner Snap On Modis

juergen.scholl wrote: Another item to consider is the screen visibility. Even then new machines were quite challenging to read in sunlight and the background lighting degrates with age.

This was the case with my MODIS. It's a great tool. But, for a few months before I replaced it, using it outside was , almost, useless. I would have to take a blanket out with me to cover my head and scanner.....impossible to see in the daylight. As Noah pointed out, the battery life was VERY short. I replaced mine, twice. Each time lasting less than a year. I got used to dragging a cord around.

It is a great tool, but heed juergen.scholl's advice and check the brightness of the screen.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14637 by FlyinHawaiian
Replied by FlyinHawaiian on topic Scanner Snap On Modis
I have one. Good tool. Only complaint would be, like mentioned before, is that it's a bear to view the screen in sunlight.
FWIW, I bought mine last year off eBay with 15.4, Euro, leads, 20 K-keys, 2 S-keys, and OBD1 cables for about $900.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds