A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

mobile gas detector for quick headgasket diagnosis

More
6 years 6 months ago #13976 by Olmer
anyone know of a good mobile gas detector, I mainly want it for testing head gasket failures I buy cars to fix up and sell and want a very fast and reliable way to test for gases in the coolant bottle or radiator. I dont really trust the chemical test kits for early head gasket failures or maybe even bad ones sometimes lol,

If anyone has one they use and believe its reliable what is the name and price of it??? thanks

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Im blessed to serve a mighty God who forgives me with nothing but the grace He has given me by His son Jesus Christ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 6 months ago #13982 by Noah
This is something that's been discussed before, but I don't think anyone ever came up with a viable solution.
If you Google hydrocarbon detectors, there is a bunch of options. From the super cheap to extra expensive. I just haven't had the money to gamble with to try any of them out.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 6 months ago #13984 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have found there is no single test that will show all cylinder head gasket failures. Not all head gasket failures leak combustion gas into the coolant, the chemical test is as valid as any other. Usually if combustion gases are leaking into the coolant youcan detect a stale smell in the coolant tank .
Another test you can do is pull the spark plugs if coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber you will often find the spark plug on one cylinder looks bleached or dyed from the coolant, also the top of piston will be relatively clean of carbon.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 6 months ago #13985 by Olmer
thanks, I will do a google research, I was just hoping to be able to find someone out there that has found a good one and has had good success with it so like you I wouldnt have to gamble with my own money and be the guinea pig lol,

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Im blessed to serve a mighty God who forgives me with nothing but the grace He has given me by His son Jesus Christ

More
6 years 6 months ago #13986 by Olmer
also as far as having a headgasket failure that does not leak combustion gases into the coolant you will not have a overheat problem right? just other symptons correct?

More
6 years 6 months ago #13987 by Olmer
also as far as having a headgasket failure that does not leak combustion gases into the coolant you will not have a overheat problem right? just other symptons correct?

More
6 years 6 months ago #13990 by Andy.MacFadyen

Olmer wrote: also as far as having a headgasket failure that does not leak combustion gases into the coolant you will not have a overheat problem right? just other symptons correct?

You can have one way leaks coolant going into the cylinder. You can also can have oil and coolant and oil mixing without going through the cylinder, external leaks and manifold leaks.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds