A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Serious hobby level scantool ? Launch Easy Diag 2 watch this space

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #13844 by Andy.MacFadyen
The Launch Easy Diag 2 looks like a viable tool for advanced hobby level diagnostics. The software runs on any Android or Apple Phone or Tablet. The software is modular you buy the software modules for a particular manufacturers you require. The range of manufacturers and systems covered is huge similar to that covered by the Launch X431. The Amazon price of the basic device without software modules is around £50 in the UK or 60$ US but to this you have to add the cost of software module subscriptions which are roughly £24 or 30$ each. The system coverage for each manufacturer appears close to that of the Launch X431
This makes it a fairly attractive for anyone working on limited range of vehicles.
I have order one expected for delivery expected on Monday and will test it and write up a review.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #13854 by scopeman
Was looking at this myself .Will Lookout for your review Andy .

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #13856 by Andy.MacFadyen
It arrived today software registration was pretty painless although Bluetooth pairing took a few attempts. As soon as the dongle is registered and paired you select the manufacturers modules you want to buy and download.

At this point there is a hidden charge plain as vanilla OBD2/EOBD is charged as a manufacturer I chose the option to choose a bundle of three manufacturers (Rover, Nissan and Renault + OBD2) . There are a huge range of manufacturers to choose from and if you work on cars from really obscure manufacturers such as GAZ or Zotye the Easy Diag 2 is probably the most useful scan tool you will find short of buying a full Launch X431.

My reason for buying this dongle was do a lot of work on an orphan brand (MG-Rover) that has zero coverage from nearly all scantool manufacturers with the notable exception of Launch who cover it on their X431 but not on the Touch Pro or CRP ranges. In particularly I needed to be able to diagnose the Rover ABS system and to my surprise the module will talk to every module on the vehicle although there is no modules present check so on poverty spec cars modules that aren't fitted are listed.

ABS live data works nicely however graphs can't be scaled.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #13859 by Andy.MacFadyen
This is the security module screen

This the injectors duration from the PCM

Attachments:

More
6 years 6 months ago #13864 by jcascel1
Brilliant move by Launch IMO! Not everybody needs a full spectrum of manufacturers for their scan tool. Most folks just want scan data/tools for their favorite make(s). Amazon is showing this with 2 free brands for $90!

Thanks,

John

More
6 years 6 months ago #13865 by Andy.MacFadyen

jcascel1 wrote: Brilliant move by Launch IMO! Not everybody needs a full spectrum of manufacturers for their scan tool. Most folks just want scan data/tools for their favorite make(s). Amazon is showing this with 2 free brands for $90!

I like the idea and the hardware but I think the marketing structure is a disaster 90$ is the price for the hardware + one manufacturer + OBD2 there is no way to avoid paying for OBD2. Launch even charge full price if you want the Demo module. This wouldn't be so bad but there is also the old Launch non-pro issue of zero technical support. Also the OBD2/EOBD/JOBD that they charge for is pretty limited even compared to using a 10$ eBay dongle and OBD Car Doctor Pro or Torque Pro. Also there is no bi-directional control.
If you only maintain mainstream vehicles I think there are better options around including those from Launch, Autel and Foxwell. For hobby owner maintainer there are also handheld one make tools for brands like BMW, Jaguar-Land-Rover, Merc , VW group and Porsche.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14879 by Andy.MacFadyen
Update --- I have now used this tool on a wider range of vehicles --- I am now seriously impressed only real limitation is the lack of bi-directional control.

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Chad

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds