A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Product Reviews or Recomendations??

More
6 years 7 months ago #13838 by ddivine01
Hello all,
Dumb question here, is it ok to ask for product reviews / experiences / recommendations here in this forum??

The world of bi directional tools is appearing to be somewhat of a black art or magic that nobody is talking about much other than to sell a product to you, and those products are appearing to be increasingly expensive and niche oriented to specific manufactures as well as apparently more and more required to repair sophisticated systems.

I have been looking for a scan tool for "diy" / limited use so I hate to sink a fortune into it at least right off the bat.

I already have a NEXIQ comm adapter that I used with CAT ET software, my question now is has anybody used the NEXIQ with the OBD2 dongle and the NEXIQ eTechnician software, I'm currently working on a 2012 Duramax which appears on their list of supported vehicles, just wondering if its worth fooling with third party stuff or if I should bite the bullet and buy an mdi2 and Tech2Win software which is all GM based.

Thanks

The comm adapter I have already, but need to get the proper dongle for
www.nexiq.com/Product/Detail/125032

The NEXIQ software I'm wondering about
www.nexiq.com/Product/Detail/856000

The current GM comm adapter
sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=5569

The software based version og the previous GM Handheld Tech 2 scanner
sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=4050

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13857 by gav09
I think you can use the nexiq as a J2534 device and then use Tech2Win as a tech2 which would give you factory tooling. Unless the duramax you are working on is new then you need GDS2

More
6 years 6 months ago #13876 by Dylan
Well whether you use Tech2Win or GDS2 you'll need an MDI. There's already an MDI2 so maybe you can find the 1st generation for a good price.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #13898 by ddivine01

gav09 wrote: I think you can use the nexiq as a J2534 device and then use Tech2Win as a tech2 which would give you factory tooling. Unless the duramax you are working on is new then you need GDS2

gav09
Thanks for the reply, I was actually thinking when I bought the NEXIQ that it would work for this, and went back this morning to double check whether I had bought the OBDII dongle as well, but it appears that I did not so I will be ordering it asap to give this a go.

Thanks for your help
Dan

PS
Here is the basis for my assumption that the 2012 3500 HD Duramax Silverado I'm working with will still be a Tech2 supported vehicle

service.gm.com/userguides/GDS2_Supported_Vehicles.pdf

Looks like a handy chart to have around to tell which lins moved to GDS when
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by ddivine01.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #13899 by ddivine01

Dylan wrote: Well whether you use Tech2Win or GDS2 you'll need an MDI. There's already an MDI2 so maybe you can find the 1st generation for a good price.

Dylan,
So have you already tried a different comm adapter, or have experience with the Tech2Win software, about whether it will see an available comm adapter other than the mdi / mdi2?

I have not tried the software yet, but I do believe it can be subscribed on a monthly basis so it won't cost a ton to try it, and as I said before I was actually hoping I did already have the OBDII dongle for my NEXIQ but I haven't laid hands on it yet and will probably order one soon if it doesn't turn up quick, there have been a couple of reorganizations of tools and such here since it was purchased so I am still checking drawers, LoL

PS It appears three days will cost 55 bucks, monthly is no deal at all for 225, when a year is 550 bucks

Cross Your fingers
Thanks for your help
Dan
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by ddivine01.

More
6 years 6 months ago #13901 by The Auto Tech

Dylan wrote: Well whether you use Tech2Win or GDS2 you'll need an MDI. There's already an MDI2 so maybe you can find the 1st generation for a good price.[/quote[/b]

Both Tech2 win and GDS2 can be used through a J2534 box for diagnostics and programming.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds