A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Power Probe Question

More
6 years 7 months ago #13174 by Tutti57
Power Probe Question was created by Tutti57
I think I had an ah ha moment, but it might have been a bad time to have it.

I was testing a vvc solonoid, had it out of the car and it had no movement when I out 12v to it. I put it back in the car, did the test again and got a little smoke out if it. I think the problem is that since the part was not working, there was no load in the circuit and I may have to buy a pcm now. Now I'm thinking I should have used the scan tool to command it or put a test light in line.

Am I right with this?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13175 by matt.white
Replied by matt.white on topic Re:Power Probe Question
I'm quite sure a test light won't carry enough current to operate a vvt solenoid. Was the pcm connected to the solenoid when you power probed it in the car? Did you give it power or ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13177 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Power Probe Question
It was connected. When I did the second test I back probed it.

I think the pcm is ok since datastream shows output to the solonoid. Dc and activation.

That info must just mean that the computer is telling it to do something but doesn't tell you if the part is working? Is that correct?

My thought process was this:

Dtc said intake vvc circuit issue. I commanded the solonoid on/off with my scan tool and felt clicks on the exhaust solonoid but not the intake. I thought I'd bench test it so I took it off and put 12v to it with the power probe and it did nothing. I put it back in and back probed it again testing with power probe, and That's where I ended up.

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Tutti57.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13182 by Big Dog50001
It is possible that you may have done some damage. I love my Power Probe (I have a PPIV), but I don't like using the rocker switch on a component that is still connected to the vehicle. I use it mostly to check voltages and to have a known good ground with me when I am testing.

Most of the time I prefer to command the component on with the scan tool (if possible) and use a scope or multimeter and backprobe to look at the signal/voltage change (this is what I would do if I were in your shoes). Other times I will command it on and connect a test light in place of component to make sure there are no voltage drops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

More
6 years 7 months ago #13191 by BillyG
Replied by BillyG on topic Re:Power Probe Question
I think Big Dog hit this on the head...Sorry you may have done damage.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13227 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Power Probe Question
You could still connect a test light to the solenoid connector and use the built-in directional test? I'm not sure what car you're working on, but most VVT solenoids are power side switched, so look for pulsed power on one wire, and steady ground on the other. That'll tell you if the circuit is still working or not. ;-)

Is the intake solenoid code a hard fault? As in, if you clear it it comes right back? You could also substitute the test light in the circuit and see if the code now stays away. Be very careful when doing this, and don't let the pins short to each other.

You're correct in your thinking about the scan data. The scan data can show the command taking place, but that doesn't guarantee that any current is flowing.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 7 months ago #13290 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Power Probe Question
If you've got the Power Probe 4, you can use it in "driver test mode" to take the place of the vvt solenoid, then command it on with the scanner and watch the power probe ;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 7 months ago #13320 by Tutti57
Thanks everyone. Learning lessons can suck. I had a feeling this was going to happen eventually while figuring this stuff out.

How do I know if there is damage? Everything seems to be fine, no warning lights on, runs and drives ok.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13321 by cheryl hartkorn
noah just told you how to do it. thats one way. if the scanner doesnt have a command for that your going to have to drive it for the pcm to control it. itll usually do it under load. perhaps pierce/backprobe control wire run a long wire into the passsenger compartment hook it to the tip of your power probe. and look for a control

More
6 years 7 months ago #13330 by Tutti57
Oh, I see. Is it not enough to see the values changing on the scantool when I look at the vvc solonoid pids that who when it is active and not and another that I believe was a % of it's position? I saw that this values were changing as I got it some throttle in park.

Thanks for your help with this. I feel like this stuff will eventually click if I keep watching the videos and reading the book.

• Noah
More
6 years 7 months ago #13339 by Noah

Tutti57 wrote: Oh, I see. Is it not enough to see the values changing on the scantool when I look at the vvc solonoid pids that who when it is active and not and another that I believe was a % of it's position? I saw that this values were changing as I got it some throttle in park.

Thanks for your help with this. I feel like this stuff will eventually click if I keep watching the videos and reading the book.

That's all the proof I would need :)
I think you're good to go. I thought you were looking for more test ideas, that's why I brought up the driver test wit the PP.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13425 by Tutti57

Noah wrote:

Tutti57 wrote: Oh, I see. Is it not enough to see the values changing on the scantool when I look at the vvc solonoid pids that who when it is active and not and another that I believe was a % of it's position? I saw that this values were changing as I got it some throttle in park.

That's all the proof I would need :)
I think you're good to go. I thought you were looking for more test ideas, that's why I brought up the driver test wit the PP.

I appreciate that though. Good to know that test. I think I've got a better understanding of the tool now. I'll be using that rocker switch only with the components on the bench from now on.

I just rearranged my garage this week too and now my scope will reach the vehicles, so I plan on getting some learning on that now.

• Noah
More
6 years 7 months ago #13428 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:RE: Re:Power Probe Question
When I had a Power Probe 3, I got in the habit of tripping the circuit breaker right after I connect the tool to the battery.
This serves to:
1) ensure you cannot accidentally apply power to anything
2) prove that you have a good ground connection to the battery.

Now the Power Probe 4 has a circuit breaker that rests itself, so no more safety!

This latch is a handy accessory for keeping power applied, or making it more difficult to hit the rocker switch. It does make it difficult to apply a quick, momentary power.

Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #13436 by Tyler

Noah wrote: When I had a Power Probe 3, I got in the habit of tripping the circuit breaker right after I connect the tool to the battery.
This serves to:
1) ensure you cannot accidentally apply power to anything
2) prove that you have a good ground connection to the battery.

Smart. B)

More
6 years 3 months ago #17230 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Re:Power Probe Question
Old thread I stumbled across reading tonight. Just want to add for the pcm power probe now has what they call the "5 volt reference adapter" . Very handy adapter! Only good for certain models of power probe so read the fine print.

Good description and read as well,

www.powerprobetek.com/knowledge/5-volt-reference-adapter/

Company Video,

Part on Amazon, Currently out of stock but a Google search will yield other places it's being sold.

Power Probe PPT5VA RED Adapter(5v),
www.amazon.com/dp/B076QB4BQL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_baeAAbM94KMJ0

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, rockp2

• Noah
More
6 years 3 months ago #17281 by Noah
I grabbed one of those off the tool truck a few months back. Makes checking the signal circuit quick and easy. I haven't tried it on anything that's missing the 5v ref yet though.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17289 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic Re:Power Probe Question
Thank you for sharing this Dtnel. After reading your post I found a place selling them on eBay and my 5v adaptor arrived today. Hooked it up to a spare battery and measured the voltage at the tip with a DMM and the adaptor produced exactly 5.00v on my PPIV. Who knows when I'll need it, but I have it. :) Signed -Tool Addict. "Hi, my name is Herv and I'm a toolaholic."

More
6 years 3 months ago #17335 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Power Probe Question

rockp2 wrote: "Hi, my name is Herv and I'm a toolaholic."

Hi Herv! :lol:

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds