A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Primary current ramp

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12503 by stratford88
As I am very new to a scope and have been following through Paul's book and classroom lecture videos, I was doing some playing around with my modis edge I just bought. Looked at cam and crank wave forms, o2 signal, map sensor sig ect and all came out as I had been taught. When I was trying to do some primary current ramp wave forms of both ignition and injectors with the low amp probe, I was getting wave forms that looked like primary voltage patterns not the ramps that Paul shows. I was on the 20amp scale on the probe, picked the 20amp from the probe menu, tried 5,10 and 20 amp scales on the scope and several time bases. Can anyone think of what I am doing wrong?
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by stratford88. Reason: adding attachment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12507 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Primary current ramp
I think it possible you might have answered your own question I suspect the leads between the amp clamp and the scope are acting as an antenna and picking the ignition secondary, Try routing the cable as far away from the ignition system as praticable.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: stratford88

More
6 years 8 months ago #12524 by stratford88
Replied by stratford88 on topic Primary current ramp
You were right it was feedback from the ignition through the probe not the leads. Got rid of the feedback but still couldn't get a ramp waveform. I will watch Paul's verus series and see if I can pic anything else up.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds