A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Where to find MODIS battery?

More
6 years 7 months ago #12449 by Shifferbrains
Hello All,

I am purchasing a 2007 year vintage MODIS from my Snap-on dealer for a very good price, however the battery that it comes with is done. I plan on sending that battery off to be rebuilt, but would like to have a back-up. I was going to buy one through my dealer, however he told me that Snap-on is trying to locate one for him, but it's not looking good. I've looked on Ebay and no joy. This will be my home scope, so it's not an emergency.

Does anyone know where I might have luck in finding this elusive little beast?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #12459 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Where to find MODIS battery?
It is my opinion that the MODIS batteries are JUNK. I've went through a couple of them. Each lasting less than a year. I got used to dragging a cord around, when I was using a MODIS.

I would check with Interstate Batteries.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 7 months ago #12483 by vb4me30
I have just used a lithium battery that can be purchased through amazon or banggood velcroed to the back. Works fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shifferbrains

More
6 years 7 months ago #12485 by Shifferbrains
Cool idea. Any way to show me the setup, or list what you used? Thanks

More
6 years 7 months ago #12734 by Dtnel
I'd be willing to bet before long you won't be able to get updates for that Modis tool either as if you think about it if they're not supplying parts the life cycle has to be bearing it's end and if you do daily diagnostics on late model vehicles you'll be money ahead to find one slightly used or you can buy a Solus Edge and go with a separate oscilloscope and probably be money ahead. I traded my Solus Edge for the Modis Edge back around March. Snap on was buying a bunch of scan tools back to push the newer stuff out the door. Hope this helps.

Regarding your battery I'd check flea bay and find a good used one and have it rebuilt/replaced by Batteries Plus as well and then you'll have a 2nd one.

I don't know if the old modis has the same features as the newer modis or even solus edge for that matter but definitely check them out.

Sometimes techs jump at opportunities to replace or purchase a "deal" that the snap on guy is offering but most of those dealers will offer that same deal a few days to a week later if they want the sale as the techs, mechanics, DIY guys like me are their meal ticket and they know if they want to sell it they'll have to come down on pricing if they haven't sold it.

A few ways to deal with dealers regarding pricing tools by the dealer but knowing how long they've been doing it and watching their financial behavior with your and other techs will tell you a lot so you can barter and come away with a good deal that you feel comfortable with.

I owned my solus for 8 months before I decided to trade up.

One line I use at times is "if I put $xxxx amount of dollars down today and make my payments xxxx amount weekly or monthly what type of deal can I get.

I use the same theory when negotiating multiple items such as recently when I bought 2 electronic torque wrenches. I asked what the price was then asked what type of deal I could get if I bought both.

After that I still played that I wanted them and asked if I bought one and paid for it that day and made payments on the others what type of pricing I'd get and in the end I bought one outright and paid the other one off over 2 months only making 1 payment per month as I'm not a shop account so I rarely see my guy especially since softball started which I've been busy coaching since spring.

This is good as well as I've just about got my $2500 bill paid off, 0% interest and not snap on financing either.

MY bill was almost 5k at one point but being I don't work in a shop snap on won't finance me as they say the financing is for guys in shops and dealerships and those working. Mine is sorts pa a hobby and DIY stuff since I'm on disability and my physical abilities are limited.

Regarding the lithium battery if you don't get the voltage correct then you'll fry the tool and have a expensive doorstop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #12735 by Shifferbrains
At work I have a Solus Edge and Vantage Ultra, both up-to-date. I have a subscription on the Solus, so it will always be up-to-date.

At home I have this Modis, just for the scope(don't need updates), and an Ethos Pro with 17.2. The Modis and Ethos I got for a song, into both for $800.

I also have access to AlldataPro and Mitchell wherever I have internet access.

According to an instructor in the field, this vintage Modis has more functions than the newer ones. He said Snap-on dumbed them down, took away certain items. Since I haven't verified this myself, a grain of salt should be taken.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Shifferbrains.

More
6 years 6 months ago #13363 by GypsyR
I like my old Modis. It may be out of date but still has a very competent four channel scope. Good luck on a battery. The ONLY one I've seen in the last six months was a bad one on Ebay that sold for $70. If you send your battery off to MTO to be rebuilt it will come back with better cells in it than Snap On ever used.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35431 by Fixit man
I just purchased a used modis edge through eBay. If battery is weak will scope function with unit plugged in to A/C adapter? I am DYI am would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

More
4 years 4 months ago #35440 by GypsyR
When scoping on a vehicle as often as not I just use the 12 volt wires to power my Modis directly off the battery. Or when in the car, a lighter plug adapter. I found a cheap wiring set on eBay that does both. I think it also fits the Vantage and Verus too.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35444 by Fixit man
Thanks for the feedback!

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds