A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Question on Pressure Transducers

More
6 years 8 months ago #11952 by waxerk5
I am in the market for a decent pressure transducer setup so I can read compression pressures, fuel pressures, trans, etc.. I am looking at the Fluke PV350 and notice that they sell a 100psi and 500psi model...

My question is, wouldn't it be more economical to just buy the 500psi unit and if so, will I be ok testing for smaller pressures in the realm of the 100psi transducer without having to buy a 2nd transducer? Basically, will a 500psi unit read lower pressures that the 100psi transducer is designed for? Trying to buy once, cry once here...

Thanks

Steven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11953 by FastEddieOBD
I would recommend the 500psi version because most compression and some fuel pressures can go over 100psi. Not sure what scope you intend on connecting to but pico also makes a nice transducer kit

More
6 years 8 months ago #11954 by waxerk5
Thanks for responding. It's to be used with my Vantage Pro or Modis.

I wanted to buy the larger transducer so I could do more with it.. But will a low pressure item still show up as accurately on a 500psi transducer like it would on a 100psi unit?

More
6 years 8 months ago #11955 by FastEddieOBD
I can only assume that the 100psi version would have a better resolution in the lower scales. I currently own the pv350 and have had good luck with it but I have not done any in cylinder running compression tests. I have heard that it does not do to well with that. But as far as ignition/compression comparisons, fuel pressure and vacuum measurements it works for me.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11956 by waxerk5
That's what I was thinking about the lower scales too. Do I have to buy an entirely new PV350 in the 100psi type, or can I just purchase the 100psi adapter?

More
6 years 8 months ago #11957 by FastEddieOBD
I am not familiar with the 100psi version. However the 500psi version I own has the transducer hardwired to the internal circuit board of the unit. If the potential one you are looking to acquire is setup like that, it just would not be practical to switch from one to the other

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #11958 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have seen a handful of posts around the net complaining of signal noise with Fluke transducer.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11959 by waxerk5

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I have seen a handful posts around the net complaining of signal noise with Fluke transducer.

Hi Andy, do you recommend a different transducer that's compatible with Modis/Vantage Pro scopes?

More
6 years 8 months ago #11960 by waxerk5

FastEddieOBD wrote: I am not familiar with the 100psi version. However the 500psi version I own has the transducer hardwired to the internal circuit board of the unit. If the potential one you are looking to acquire is setup like that, it just would not be practical to switch from one to the other

Good to know.. that tells me that they are 2 different models all together. I definitely do NOT want to buy 2 of those things like that. Thanks for your responses.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #11963 by Tyler
I've had the PV350 500 PSI model for a few years, and it's done well for in-cylinder testing. Running compression waveforms at less than 100 PSI look good enough.

If you're looking at doing crankcase/intake/exhaust pressure pulse testing, however, you'll need another tool IMO. The PV350 is not sensitive enough to do that kind of thing.

Not trying to tell you how to spend your money, BUT if I could go back in time, I'd just get a Pico WPS500. ;-) More capable overall, more adapters, better waveforms. Just an idea! :cheer:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Tyler.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12006 by Paul Marchant
My post from a while back might be of use to you:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...ransducer.html#11460

I've progressed a bit more on this project, and have an inexpensive (ebay) 100psi transducer working with it.

I've just bought a 5000psi transducer (50 euros) and plan to make up the adaptors to monitor brake fluid pressures and ABS modulator pressure waveforms. This is a longer-term project but is underway.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Paul Marchant. Reason: Added some more random ramblings...

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds