A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

quick and dirty disconnecting fuel injector to test if working

More
6 years 8 months ago #11808 by DieselAus
Hi Paul:
not sure if this is correct area in forum as I'm new to forums but just want to comment that in some procedures you mention Quick and dirty testing if fuel injector working by disconnecting each one in turn, you probably are aware no doubt but just in case in the US vehicles maybe different in Australian vehicles that have Pieso controlled injectors if you disconnect these while vehicle running they default to fully open and can damage pistons fairly quickly as you can imagine so just putting it out their for the forum .

PS. keep up the great work in helping us have just started watching Premium channel (purchased) and the extra pieces of info really help in understanding all the theory behind the testing really pleased I made the decision.

cheers
peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11894 by Dylan
Hey Peter! This is the correct area :)
Good point on the piezo injectors. I'm pretty sure Paul is aware of this but it's good to mention it here on the forum for other members and guests. As a diesel tech you will see this type of injectors quite often. Now there are petrol engines (direct injection) that use these as well. Like BMW for example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DieselAus

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #12917 by scopeman
Is there a way to tell the difference between piezo and solenoid injectors just by looking at them and does Paul have any topics on these for testing etc ?

Seen Paul using the injector pulse timer tool to test solenoid injectors but am i right in saying we cannot apply this test with piezo injectors i guess we cannot ?

Seems a scan tool is the better option to look at fuel pressure on these systems ?+

Would like to see Paul do a video on Piezo testing .
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by scopeman.

More
6 years 7 months ago #12934 by Dylan

scopeman wrote: Is there a way to tell the difference between piezo and solenoid injectors just by looking at them and does Paul have any topics on these for testing etc ?

Seen Paul using the injector pulse timer tool to test solenoid injectors but am i right in saying we cannot apply this test with piezo injectors i guess we cannot ?

Seems a scan tool is the better option to look at fuel pressure on these systems ?+

Would like to see Paul do a video on Piezo testing .

Hey sir. Don't know about a specific video on testing Piezo's. I assume you're talking about GDI systems? Anyway principle is the same with these used in diesel engines. Lower pressure of course :)

No, you cannot use the injector pulse timer tool for solenoid injectors. Piezo works different. Polarity is reversed to close them. They are also about 5 times faster than 'regular' ones.
Never disconnect a piezo injector with the engine running.

Here's a link from Pico on how to test them.

www.picoauto.com/library/automotive-guided-tests/piezo-current/
The following user(s) said Thank You: scopeman

More
6 years 6 months ago #13497 by scopeman
Thanks i think you mean you cannot use timer tool for piezo and is ok for solenoid injectors (quote : No, you cannot use the injector pulse timer tool for solenoid injectors quote : ) Just clarifying .

More
6 years 6 months ago #13499 by Dylan

scopeman wrote: Thanks i think you mean you cannot use timer tool for piezo and is ok for solenoid injectors (quote : No, you cannot use the injector pulse timer tool for solenoid injectors quote : ) Just clarifying .

Yes. My bad! :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: scopeman

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16257 by Andy.MacFadyen
One clue is apparently all Siemens injectors are Piezo

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds