A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Parasitic draw testing

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1043 by JoesAutoElectric
Hey guys, wanted to share a very nice tool with you fellas. Not sure if it is old news, but thought it is worth posting if you have not seen it. If any of you do parasitic draw tests, you know it can be a real pain on late model vehicles. When I started in the field we used a test light, and then of course moved to using a meter to see if we had a draw. The meter is still used of course, to confirm if we do have a draw happening. Now when we get to the part about having to start pulling fuses things can become a headache. As you pull a fuse and re install it you can and will wake up different modules. A year or two ago, I found this tool and have used it many times. It is faster and more reliable a method to find the circuit with the draw than any other method I have tried. It's called the Amp Hound.
What I do is make sure driver's door is latched, all other doors are closed, hood is latched on some models and then confirm the draw using a fluke meter. After that is confirmed I begin testing at the fuses with the Hound. This thing is amazing and very reliable to quickly find the problem circuit. Best money I spent on a tool in along time. I am planning to make a video on my channel the next time I have to use it.

"The man who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it."
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by JoesAutoElectric.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #1049 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Parasitic draw testing
I've seen those around but never used one. Does it measure voltage drop across the fuse?
Thanks for sharing, if you get around to making a video I'd be interested in seeing it in action.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #1077 by JoesAutoElectric
It actually measures current flow across the fuse. Very good time saving tool and as I said, accurate.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1091 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Parasitic draw testing
Just like Noah I'd like to see the video when using this tool. Would be cool ;)

More
7 years 8 months ago #1092 by matt.white
Replied by matt.white on topic Parasitic draw testing

Noah wrote: I've seen those around but never used one. Does it measure voltage drop across the fuse?
Thanks for sharing, if you get around to making a video I'd be interested in seeing it in action.

It'd convert voltage drop to current flow surely?!

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1093 by Andy.MacFadyen
Yes it is really a sensitive voltmeter that is using the resisstance of the fuse as a shunt resisstor to create a tiny voltage drop.
All lot oridinary multimeters even quite low cost ones are just sensitive enough at the lower end of the milivolts scale to do the job but many aren't.
Tables to convert fuse voltage drop to current can be found at a few places on the internet.

ISTR Paul has shown the method as have a few of the other knowledgable and trustworthy video makers on Youtube, Matt on Schrodingers Box for sure and I pretty sure Eric O at SMA , appologies to any I have omitted

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen. Reason: typos arrgh!

More
7 years 8 months ago #1101 by JoesAutoElectric
Yes, my fluke 88 has been used in the same way. I simply find this tool to be easier and more reliable in testing than using the meter. Amp Hound also converts the voltage for you, so there is no need for formulas.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1102 by scopeman
Replied by scopeman on topic Parasitic draw testing
Would also like to see this in a video sound good.Thanks for letting us know.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1338 by Chumer68
Replied by Chumer68 on topic Parasitic draw testing
here a you tube video on the amp hound

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds