A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

"LOAD PRO VS. INCADESCENT TEST LIGHT

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64526 by Protus Auto
Hey Paul,
I have a question for you on your opinion or experience...if any,  with Dan Sullivans "Load Pro" vs. Using an incandescent test light in its place?

Marty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #64529 by Noah
I think you are going to find that most technicians prefer a test light over the Load Pro. I have one that I bought quite a few years back that gets no use.
Dan Sullivan is very smart, no doubt, but has done a great deal of shit talking and accusing large companies of infringement on his patent, and takes it personally when "influencers" do not like his tool, which hasn't helped his reputation.
The Load Pro works as described, but is large and cumbersome and doesn't accept banana jack accessories like alligator clamps or back probes. To be fair, most test lights also do not fit banana plug accessories without some modifications.
Also, the Load Pro requires the use of a meter, which on paper sounds like would be be a more accurate test method, but it's also two tools now you are lugging around or maneuvering under a dashboard.
It also has a fixed load, which may be too little for power supplies to large current consumers, where as with my test light, I have different bulbs I can use depending on the load I wish to put on the circuit. The demonstrations of the tool always begin with isolating the component and putting the Load Pro in the circuit as a substitute load, which can be easy or a nightmare depending on what you are checking. I do use my test light as a substitute load, but I usually like to start my testing with everything in the circuit so as to not disturb any possible intermittent connections that could pull the diag into the weeds.
If you have the tool, and you like it and its helping you fix cars, that is great. It's not a worthless tool, but I feel like I have better, easier to use tools in my kit to measure voltage drop.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bcmusick

• Noah
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #64530 by Noah

I think you are going to find that most technicians prefer a test light over the Load Pro. I have one that I bought quite a few years back that gets no use.
Dan Sullivan is very smart, no doubt, but has done a great deal of shit talking and accusing large companies of infringement on his patent, and takes it personally when "influencers" do not like his tool, which hasn't helped his reputation.
The Load Pro works as described, but is large and cumbersome and doesn't accept banana jack accessories like alligator clamps or back probes. To be fair, most test lights also do not fit banana plug accessories without some modifications.
Also, the Load Pro requires the use of a meter, which on paper sounds like would be be a more accurate test method, but it's also two tools now you are lugging around or maneuvering under a dashboard.
It also has a fixed load, which may be too little for power supplies to large current consumers, where as with my test light, I have different bulbs I can use depending on the load I wish to put on the circuit. The demonstrations of the tool always begin with isolating the component and putting the Load Pro in the circuit as a substitute load, which can be easy or a nightmare depending on what you are checking. I do use my test light as a substitute load, but I usually like to start my testing with everything in the circuit so as to not disturb any possible intermittent connections that could pull the diag into the weeds.
If you have the tool, and you like it and its helping you fix cars, that is great. It's not a worthless tool, but I feel like I have better, easier to use tools in my kit to measure voltage drop.
And obviously, I don't speak for Paul. But there have been exchanges between Paul and Dan on the subject that you may be able to find, possibly on YouTube. (Or possibly on one of the first versions of this forum that no longer exists)
Paul pretty much said he doesn't get his ass kicked by voltage drop, so he doesn't need it, then Dan went on a rant, falsely claiming Paul had corporate sponsorship from Snap-On who was trying to steal his tool.
From what I could gather, it seemed like Paul was at least willing to demo the tool for the guy on his channel until Dan went on the war path.

More
2 months 4 days ago #64658 by 70monte
AesWave does sell an adapter kit for the Load Pro so that you can use alligator clips and different probes.
www.aeswave.com/LOADpro-Back-Probe-Tip-Adapter-Kit-p10135.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
More
2 months 4 days ago #64660 by Noah
That's cool. Those adapters would make the tool much more usable in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 70monte

More
2 months 3 days ago - 2 months 3 days ago #64690 by 70monte
You are welcome. For those who already have plenty of alligator clips and back probes, you can just buy the adapters that fit on the end of the Load Pro. These are all I bought since I have a bunch of the clips and back probes already.
www.aeswave.com/Tip-Adapters-for-LOADpro-p10134.html
Last edit: 2 months 3 days ago by 70monte.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds