A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Can a Scan tool perform a remote start?

More
3 months 1 week ago #64281 by SnowmanTX
Hi Gang, 

I've just purchased my first tablet style scan tool.  I've never used one before, so I'm wondering if any scan tools have the ability to activate the starter?  I was getting ready to go buy a remote starter switch so I can crank the engine from under the hood, but then it occurred to me that maybe the scan tool can do this?  

Is this something that anyone has seen?

Thanks!

Ted (SnowmanTX)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #64283 by Tyler
That would likely depend more on the vehicle you're testing than the scan tool you're using. Some makes/models will provide a bidirectional control of the starter relay, some won't. For example, of the three cars in my driveway, only one will allow you to run the starter from the scan tool.

In short, there are still gonna be some times you'll need a remote starter switch. As an alternative, you can look into some relay testing sets, like this Lisle kit:

www.amazon.com/Lisle-69300-Master-Relay-Test/dp/B00CRQSYY4

Using the tester gives you easy access to the control side of a relay, making controlling the relay a breeze. Plus, it's a great kit on its own, aside from acting as a remote switch. And it'll come in handy for those vehicles were the starter is difficult to access. It's more expensive, but way more versatile.

If you want to buy-one-cry-once, there's also the uActivate kit:

www.aeswave.com/uActivate-Master-Kit-p10395.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds