A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

02 diagnosis with P0430 code

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #64218 by Andrew1234
Hi. This is my first time posting here. This seems to be one of the better forums for OBDII diagnosis.
2006 Toyota Sienna, 220k miles or so. Runs well but last year would occasionally get a P0430, and now its just on all the time. It seems the Bank 2 O2 sensors are jumping around so I can see why a code would pop up. I logged some data during a long drive, the first part was held at steady speed, then I pulled off the throttle. I made the graphs in Excel. Note that downstream O2 and the fuel trims are inverted, so up is lean for everything. Data is in 1 second increments (seems slow but that's what I got.) At least it made it easier for me to look at. I'm seeing that Bank 1 O2 sensors seems to move in concert with each other, fuel trim, and OBD A/F ratio, but Bank 2 seems to be jumping around a lot more. I would like to think Bank 2 upstream O2 (A/F) sensor could be bad, but googling talks about sluggish sensors, not a sensor with ADHD. What do you think?
(I think I also logged data for a steep uphill, so let me know if more data is needed, I'm not real fast with pulling these charts together.)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 months 1 week ago #64220 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 02 diagnosis with P0430 code
Hey Andrew,
As long as the trims aren't excessive, the car runs runs well and there aren't large exhaust leaks around the downstream o2s, I'm ok calling the cat bad. The PCM does a a good job monitoring the health of the cat. Very very very seldom is a cat code anything else, and I'm not super surprised with the mile on that thing.
Good job collecting the data and not just slinging parts, but I bet it needs a cat.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 months 1 week ago #64221 by Andrew1234
Thanks Noah. I did check for exhaust leaks, nothing obvious while running. Also jammed a shop vac into the exhuast end and couldn't find anything blowing in or sucking out.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds