A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

OBD and pay per mile insurance.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #63644 by Alorcass
Hello everyone, I'm sure somebody must have asked this before but I think it would take some time to find the post so I'm starting here. I have a Mini Cooper 2008 and I want to replace the radio head unit. It will involve using the OBD2 connector which at the moment is being used by my pay per mile insurance dongle. I've read that splitting the OBD signal could mess things up if there are conflicts from 2 devices but I know that the dongle only measures distance travelled. Does anyone have an answer or some experience with this dilema?
Before anyone says "Change the insurance" I only do about 2K miles a year so the saving is quite dramatic. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #63652 by Tyler
Can't say I've had any experience with this style of vehicle insurance. I'd think that the people to ask would the insurance provider themselves. How does unplugging their dongle impact your coverage?

What would happen if, for example, the car battery went dead? It'd amount to the same thing as you programming the replacement radio, as far as the dongle is concerned.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds