A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

How to See Current on GDI injectors?

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #62673 by type3sqr
The title is a little vague, but I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I am trying to hook up an amp clamp to see the current on all 6 gdi injectors on my 2016 Tacoma with the 3.5L. I am trying to see if one cylinder falls out.

I was going to use a Fuse Buddy and run the clamp off that, but after looking at the diagram, the DINJ fuse only operates the relay. From that relay, a green wire goes to the ECM and the ECM powers each positive and negative independently for each direct injector. 

So, my question is, can I probe the green wire coming out of the relay to see current ramps on all 6 injectors?

I know this is a long winded question, but I am new to oscilloscopes and dont understand them fully just yet.   

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
8 months 2 weeks ago #62678 by Noah
According to that diagram, the green wire is the control for the relay. The fuse feeds the load side of the relay, which switches power to the black and the white wires. I can't see the injectors in this diagram, but the fuse is not for the control of the relay, you should be good to measure current as you wanted to, with a fuse buddy in that fuse slot.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #62679 by type3sqr
I appreciate the response. I will give that a shot!

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #62687 by Tyler
Agree with Noah, your DINJ fuse should show you injector current.

Though I'd say as a caution that, while the service info says the BD1 and BD2 pins are power sources for the injectors, you don't actually know where those pins go inside the ECM. You're likely to see injector current, sure, but there may be other components getting powered by those same pins. You won't know until you get the waveform. 

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds