A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

opinions on buying my first lab scope.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9907 by Eurotecknic55
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get into the lap scope game and have been changing my mind about what setup to purchase. I like the Snap on Vantage Pro and Ultra with the component tester feature. Would you trust buying a Vantage pro off ebay? are batterys still available to buy from snap on? Or do i go with a new Ultra and spend $3k? Or buy a laptop and go with a Pico? The reason im leaning on getting a vantage pro is because it seems to allow for more mobility when working then the lap top and pico set up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9910 by Ben
I use the modis ultra and the component test is very useful especially if you don't have Mitchell or alldata I think that that feature alone makes it worth considerably more than the pico, although I have never used the pico. Others may have a different opinion

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 11 months ago #9913 by Tyler
I've got a Modis Ultra as well, love it to death. The portability is key for me - I never hesitate to scope something if I want. I wouldn't hesitate on an eBay unit, either, as long as the seller seems legit. Snappy isn't updating the Vantage Pro anymore, so get the highest software version you can.

But, the Pico IS a better scope overall, and the software is fantastic. Not as portable, but that may not be a problem depending on where you're working. Lots of guys have their scopes on dedicated carts with LCD screens, so they can wheel everything over to the car. If that's workable in your shop, then go for it!

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9920 by Andy.MacFadyen
As above Pico make the best scope & scope software but the reduced portability is draw back, you can't easily use it hanging upside down in the passenger foot well. For that Snap-On has the perfect answer.

I think the lab-scope market is about to change with lower cost tablet sized scopes and more WiFi scopes.
Over here in.Europe Snap-On are regarded as a hand tool seller and haven't made big in-roads in the diagnostic market I have been looking at the Autoditex range for my next scope

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eurotecknic55

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 11 months ago #9924 by Noah
I like my Verus scope. It's pretty much the same scope you'd be getting with a Vantage but with a scan tool built in.
I'm glad my first scope was a Snap-On, the guided tests are a wealth of information.
Plus I've dropped it a few times (once off a car lift...), I seriously doubt my laptop would have liked that very much

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9927 by Tyler

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I think the lab-scope market is about to change with lower cost tablet sized scopes and more WiFi scopes.

Great point here. Also, be sure to check out the Scope on a Budget thread we've got stickied . Lots of great recommendations in there from Andy and other members.

I also have an AESwave uScope, and it's about as portable as they come. I've combined mine with just about every scope accessory I own, and always get great results. A more affordable scope like that might be a good first step.

Noah wrote: Plus I've dropped it a few times (once off a car lift...), I seriously doubt my laptop would have liked that very much

Yup, done that a few times, too. :blush: But it survived!
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Tyler.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds