A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

testing a fuel system with compressed air?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #60940 by readbeardosc
Ive never seen this method used on a fuel system. but i would link it would work just like AC testing.
id like to test the injectors and fuel rail for leaks.if I blow 40 psi in one side and block the other. i should see 40 psi on a gauge an hour later...right?
any thoughts on this ? is it common practice for some? is it a bad? why wouldn't this work ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #60942 by juergen.scholl
Sure, you could do so.

Not so sure why you wanted to do so though.

A car already features the appropriate components with the appropriate medium to pressurize the fuel system. Being lazy why hassle with more than the necessary?

On some (diesel/suction style) systems you well may encounter the necessity of an extensive purge to get the engine started after introducing air into the system.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by juergen.scholl.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 3 weeks ago #60947 by Noah
I fail to see why when you can just run the pump and monitor fuel pressure. Seems like extra work to rig in a regulated air source and shut off valve. Let the fuel system do that work.
Thinking outside the box is never a bad thing!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #60961 by Tyler
If the system you're testing still includes the check valve, then you're probably going to see some amount of leakage after an hour. Most OEMs specify how much leak down they're OK with somewhere in service info. None will seal perfectly.

Not sure if testing with air instead of fuel would change the rate of leakage or not. :blink:

Not common practice, but... I can't think of a reason not to.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Tyler.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds