A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Re:Beat to death I know, need an advanced homeowner scanner

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60860 by psu927
I have trouble reading, sorting and processing through a lot of information, so I was hoping you guys could clear some muddy waters. I have been getting into much more advanced repairs for myself, friends and family her at my home shop. I have been getting by with my cheap OBD2 adapter and torque pro, and also have some VX diag stuff (Ford IDS and GM TechII/MDS). Both of those stop at year 2014, which is really starting to limit me.

I am looking at some if the newer scan tools, possibly with programming capability. I know I for sure want coding ability.
I don't know that i care about subscription cost, as long as the tool works 100% up to the year the current subscriptions expire, although it could be a deciding factor if models are close. I am willing to spend upwards of $2250, however if a cheaper tool will do what I need it to, that is the route I'd like to take. Here are a few things I am currently running into that need the tool to do

*Obvious simple code reading/clearing and live data
*Need to do a transmission relearn on a 2013 Subaru
*Need to do a CAM position sensor relearn on a 2015 Town and Country minivan
*Need to do ABS bleed procedures on several vehicles
*Need to reset adaptive shift points on a 2014 Suburban
*Need to operate an EVAP system (purge valve) on an 08 chevy for a smoke test
*Need to perform forced regen on newer diesel engines
*need to replace an airbag module on a 2014 suburban
*need to command a fuel pump on an 06 F350 (clone IDS does this, but want the bi-directional control on the newer tool)

Just a small sample. What about programming? I understand some models have the J2534 pass through, and that programming requires a manufacturer subscription. Are these tools capable of a wide range of vehicle programming? (I see some seem limited to just BMW)

East of use depends on cost, I would prefer a newer OS, and possibly bluetooth for ease of use but if I can get an older hardwire model for half price, it would be hard to justify the convenience.

Scope features, I want to add and learn more auto oscilloscope diagnosing techniques, I can purchase a stand alone for this in the future, but would spend a bit more for a unit that had some capability.

TPMS stuff, I have tire machines and get into a fair amount of tire work, would be nice to program TPMS sensors, however it looks like a lot of guys go with a dedicated tool for this. Once again would spend a little more for the capability.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by psu927. Reason: Correct error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60861 by Ben
Hard to beat the autel in price for value on there scan tool, with that said there data stream is nowhere near as good as snapon , I should mention none of the scan tools will aid in replacing the airbag module that requires a j2534 and a programming license from gm $48 per vin. Also autels standalone tpms tools are inexpensive and work with anything your going to need it to as well as there universal mx sensors

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

More
1 year 1 month ago #60862 by juergen.scholl
The Topdon phoenix smart may be an option. It covers most of your desired features, though not directly compatible with their scope.

Huge plus is the cloud based programming.

The Topdon max is the top f the list tool, already with a 4 channel scope included but at a higher price.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60889 by psu927

Hard to beat the autel in price for value on there scan tool, with that said there data stream is nowhere near as good as snapon , I should mention none of the scan tools will aid in replacing the airbag module that requires a j2534 and a programming license from gm $48 per vin. Also autels standalone tpms tools are inexpensive and work with anything your going to need it to as well as there universal mx sensors

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong, but some of the Autel (and others) come with J2534 capability. I understand this to mean they come with the J-box, and that would work with my Windows PC with the manufacturer software to perform programming functions? Or am I better off not buying a device with a J3524 device and if I want to get into that later buying that standalone? I know there are options out there.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60892 by psu927
Just as an update, JBtools had the Topdon Phoenix Smart on sale with a few nice freebies, so I jumped on it. I actually called AESwave, and they price matched and took off the cost of one of the free ad-ons. So I got it for a great price with a free battery tester. Hoping this is a buy once-cry once type deal.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by psu927.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds