A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

buying aeswave uscope,i have simple questions

More
1 year 2 months ago #60271 by boostedsil40
i cant afford the master kit for u scope, so im ordering the basic Uscope kit. i want to look at COP secondary waveforms and to do so ill need to place a coin/metal plate on top of COP and place positive lead on the coil as the basic kit doesnt have a paddle for secondary waveforms. my question is will i need a attenuator to do this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60275 by juergen.scholl
No, you won't need an attenuator. But you will want to make sure your positive lead/signal lead is "somehow" protected against any high voltage leakage from the coil.

The coin/test lead setup measures the secondary ignition voltage through capacitive coupling. The resulting sigal voltage is with in the mV and lower V range. That being the reason why no attenuator is required.

Another option to get a secondary voltage wave form is to connect your signal wire and the ground wire to the control side of a relay (terminals 85 and 86, resp. 1 and 2 depending on the relay type) or any solenoid style inductor like a VR wheel speed sensor. You would put this sensor on top or at the side of the coil, wherever it will give you the best image. Again, you'd want to protect your scope against stray voltage.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60278 by boostedsil40
thank you this was exacttly the reply i was looking for, as for protecting against voltage leaks that can damage scope do i just hook the neg probe to ground then maybe another wire from that spot and have it run to the neg battery to ensure good grounding?

also when testing injectors control side will i need attenuator in this case? if so is this really the only time ones needed? i just dont want to blow up my new uscope right after i get it.

More
1 year 1 month ago #60279 by boostedsil40
i made this diy tool i found on youtube for picking up secondary waveforms when you have stubborn coils that are difficult to get good waveforms,

in the video though hes using a secondary ignition clamp which i dont have,is there a danger to my scope doing this method and hovering my positive probe over the wire hes using as diy tool to get a waveform? (basially a wire that wraps around the end of coil and other end of wire goes to ground.)

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60286 by juergen.scholl
You can use an ordinary paper clip as capacative pick up where you hook your test lead on.

The voltage range of the u-scope on the x1 setting is 10V max/div (by 8 div). When testing injectors, especially GDI or Common Rail this voltage may get easily surpassed. The same may happen on any inductive device you are going to test, as VVT solenoids, evap purge valves, ignition coils primary etc. Get used to use attenuators!

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by juergen.scholl.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds