A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Help chosing a scan tool for mobile business.

More
1 year 3 months ago #59673 by Mobilemechanics
Hi all, in the market for my first big scan tool purchase. Currently using alldata scan tool and half of the stuff dosnt work on lease for $180/mo. I'm a Mobile tech so I don't have a shop but I do have internet in my vehicle. I honestly love the way Paul's scanner operates I wish my interface was as friendly. I definitely need scope operations but I'm debating between two separate systems or one combined. If I do separate it means I need to bring my computer with me along with my scan tool. It's doable if that's the best option. Originally I thought pico made a $2-300 option now I see their cheapest package starting at I think $1200 ? I think with me having little to no experience on the scope I might be better off with an advanced tool that can double as a scope maybe not as advanced as a pico but idk. Very limited experience with a scope. Any helps greatly appreciated, and if anyone knows the scan tool Paul uses in most of his videos with lead inputs for scope functions I'd like to maybe start my research there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 3 months ago #59688 by Noah
Paul uses a Verus Edge, as do I. It's a really good scanner and a pretty good scope. At least for the cars I service every day. It's also what I use to access service information via the internet.
It runs Windows 7, for which support has ended (if that's important to you).
I read somewhere that support for the Verus Edge will stop by 2025. This could be a problem depending on the cars you see. I'm thinking specifically of Chrysler brands, which require a subscription to Auto Authority, which subsequently requires a current update for the scan tool you use in order to unlock the secure gateway.
So, worth looking into before putting all your eggs in that basket in my opinion.
Otherwise it's tough, intuitive and has a really good battery life.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 3 months ago #59690 by Mobilemechanics
Yeah so this was basically my biggest question is the edge on the brink of being outdated. What is the newest platform replacing the edge in 2025? Has it not been released? If not maybe I'm best off buying a used one and saving what I can until the newest model is out. The edge seems to be right in the price , just started the buisness 3 months ago so far ever vehicle has been pre 2017. Mostly 05-16

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 3 months ago #59691 by Noah
The Zeus and the Zeus Plus are replacing the Verus.
If you can find one for the right price, I would still recommend the Verus Edge. I don't plan on giving up on mine any time soon.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 3 months ago #59719 by Mobilemechanics
What's the difference between the verus and the vantage

More
1 year 3 months ago #59722 by juergen.scholl
The vantage basically is 2 channel graphing multimeter/scope while the verus is a full size scan tool coming with an integrated 4 channel scope.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 3 months ago #59724 by Mobilemechanics
Ahh I thought it was the other way around the vantage being the 4 channel. Verus it is ! Should I be looking somewhere besides ebay? Anyone purchased a unit off eBay?

More
1 year 3 months ago #59734 by Paul P.
I do mobile diagnostics, I have way more scanners and scopes than I need, but thats years of collecting stuff.

Right now as of today, my Thinktool Pros garners all my scantool attention. When it can't do the job I reach for my OEM scan tools.

www.amazon.com/Thinktool-Bi-Directional-...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you purchase Thinktool or a Launch X431 you can get a 2 year subsciption if you shop around.

As far as a scope goes my training wheels were on a PICO.

www.picoauto.com/products/automotive-oscilloscope-kit/overview

So what you are willing to spend on an old used Verus(hopefully it has the latest update, because I'm sure they are no more, but I could be wrong), you could have bought a super scan tool and a scope.

The Pico can be outfitted with a ton of stuff that isn't banded Pico.

Here are two places I order all my scope stuff from, and yes, I use Hantek Clamps!!!

us.warwickts.com/ (everything BNC and Gators to probes to scope cables)
rotkee.com/en ( I use the PS16 in-cylinder tranducer and quite a bit of thier cables)

You can't be without these 2 tools and good SI, I use Alldata.

These three items are necessities.

Then after a few jobs and especially a module replacement that you can't perform, you'll be looking for a J2534 interface. Then your game changes.

Good luck!

Never stop Learning.

More
1 year 3 months ago #60108 by coffeysm
I am a DIY guy and I bought one of those scanners and it doesn't seem to work on my 2006 G35 fully. I love it otherwise, I also bought the battery tester and scope kit, which I think is just rebranded Hantek.

More
1 year 2 months ago #60111 by rockp2
One of my scan tools is the Verus PRO D10. The last update Snap-On provided was 2017 model year. So if you find one on eBay, realize there are no updates after that. It also runs on Windows XP as its operating system. I have an Autel I will buy updates for and between the two I have what I need in the scanner department. However, dollar for dollar the ThinkPro is the one I would buy if I were buying a scanner.

I also have the Vantage Pro with the last update offered, which I believe is also 2017. But I really don't need updates since it is my main oscilloscope and updates aren't really needed for that purpose. Vantage Pro is kind of my old rugged reliable 'comfort' tool ;) and IMO is a great starter tool. If you can find one, it will be about a quarter the cost (or less) of a Pico. But, if I were in the market (and had the funds available) I would buy a Pico as my oscilloscope.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds