A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

need help

More
1 year 4 months ago #59476 by Cayo254
need help was created by Cayo254
ok I am new at the forum side so bear with me ...I have been working on vehicles all my live ..but never the electrical side .....i have all of pauls equipment Snap-On triton d10- picoscope7 and testers as well...i am on the premium course as well ... now I would like to learn how to use them so I need the hand on portion ....i have a 03 dodge ram 5.7 hemi and all I would like to do is see a cop wave form for the first time on my computer ...is there anyone out there willing to help me with this issue....lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59477 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic need help
Hey Cayo254, welcome to the forums! :cheer:

I'm moving this thread into the Diagnostic Tools and Techniques section so it'll get more views.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cayo254

More
1 year 4 months ago #59480 by Cayo254
Replied by Cayo254 on topic need help
thank you for that ...

More
1 year 4 months ago #59495 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic need help
Within the pico software - be it pico 6 or pico 7 - there is a tab called guided functions. This will take you by the hand and walk you through the routine of getting waveforms on a variety of actuators, sensors, systems.

It explains shortly the component and shows how to connect your probe. It will also display a typical waveform of a good signal you should expect.

There is also an app available called Picoscope Automotive which you may find helpful getting a headstart on not only Pico but automotive scoping in general.

With regards to your hemi 5.7:
Being a 2 wire coil you can get primary as well as secondary voltage waveform and also primary current waveforms.

If you have a secondary pick up inductive probe/wand connected to the scope you just place it on top or side of the coil where you would get the best picture. You also can put a high tension extension lead between spark plugs and coil and use a capacitive probe on it for a secondary voltage capture.

The primary voltage you'll see when connecting a standard probe to the control wire of the coil, this would be wire pulsed to ground to make the coil fire. *MAKE SURE TO USE AN ATTENUATOR IF NECESSARY*.

Finally with a current clamp around any one of the two wires going to the coil you will obtain a current waveform of the primary current.

If you want to see detail you may start with a time base of 1 milisecond/div for any of three aforementioned captures.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cayo254

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds