A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Secondary Ignition patterns on the MT2400 Scanner? KV module?

More
1 year 3 months ago #59410 by markhthompson7
I have just purchased a Snap on version 6 MT2400. It didn't come with the KV module set, but I can purchase one if needed.

I would like to know if I will be able to view the secondary ignition pattern for at least one cylinder on the MT2400.

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on this.

Also, maybe someone has a KV module manual in PDF.

Thanks much in advance
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 3 months ago #59424 by Noah
Mark, while the MT2400 is my go to meter, there are far better options to view secondary ignition patterns.
With the kV module and the Vantage, you are limited to viewing only portions of the pattern at a time.
It can display the high kV firing voltage, or the burn line/duration, but not both at the same time.
I had the kV module and found it quite useless, I gave it to a member iatn a few years back.
For the money and leg work it will take to procure this antique, you could get one of those nice little pocket u-scopes everyone seems to be using and be WAY ahead of the Vantage in terms of ability to view secondary (and most other) waveforms.
I use my Vantage every day, in my eyes, it's the perfect multi meter, but when I need to SCOPE something, it goes back in the tool box.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 3 months ago #59426 by juergen.scholl
Mark,

You will not be able to "see" the 2ary ignition pattern in the way a regular ignition scope would show it.

Instead the MT 2400 will display a histogram of one aspect of the 2ary ignition like spark kv, firing kv etc. at a time. The graph will show how the selected aspect behaves over time and allows to spot easily deviations and abnormal events.

To get a better idea how it works and what it does you may have a look at the video:

Sure, in a world of "easy to digest approaches" there are less cumbersome options than this in particular. Nevertheless I think it is a great choice for advanced diying. Used modules used to be dirt cheap because they often were misunderstood. In a professional shop environment you'd prefer something different, imo.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 3 months ago #59427 by markhthompson7
Noah,

Thanks much for your help on this.

I will save the money on the KV module and use the MT2400 a graphing multi meter.

Thanks again
Mark

More
1 year 3 months ago #59428 by markhthompson7
Juergen,

Thanks much for responding and providing great insight on this.

I have viewed the video.

I have other scopes but these are not so portable.

I got the MT2400, because I watched Paul use it so much in the videos.

I use a Fluke 77 multi meter, but it's not a graphing meter. I purchased it in 1983, while attending my first automotive electronics class at a GM training center. It's still working!

I'm putting together a road kit, since most of my work in helping friends away from my shop. Now it's boats as well.

I just purchased a Vantage Ultra with the latest software 22.4. Combined with my other equipment including the MT2400 my road kit is close to being together.

Thanks so much,
Mark

More
1 year 1 month ago #60386 by Baymaster
I used the original vantage meter with kv module for years professionally. It is terrific for scoping ignition. I used it mostly with the ford cop adapter and helped my diagnostic process immensely. That being said, I used bear machines and the snapon counselor scope before I purchased the vantage.

I don't particularly use it for ignition anymore because I work on newer cars and do much less diagnostic. But I had a pretty big advantage over most techs probably 15 years ago with it. I have the vantage pro now and can't even remember if it has kv module built in.

Are there better scopes out there? Sure. Do any have more diagnostic info on hand than snapon? Probably not. The only thing I didn't use or trust on the vantage was the ohm meter because it cannot measure extremely high resistance.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds