A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Snapon Scope Green Test Lead Question

More
7 years 1 day ago - 7 years 14 hours ago #9185 by ecwurban
My question is about the ground connector on the green lead. For example, take a look at the Kia Sorrento intermittent CAM video @ 19:00. I couldn't get the embedded video to play right at 19:00. :huh: So if it doesn't for you then just go to the 19:00 mark to see what I'm talking about if you're not familiar with the Snapon leads.

What's the purpose of that? Is that purely for protection? As in switching harmful voltage spikes straight to ground instead of going through the scantool? You'll get a waveform just fine without plugging it in. The scope will default to the one ground just as it does for the red and blue leads.
Last edit: 7 years 14 hours ago by Dylan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 day ago #9187 by Andy.MacFadyen
I am not a Snap-on user but I am pretty certain the local earth is there for shielding the signal wire from interference.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
7 years 15 hours ago - 7 years 15 hours ago #9213 by Dylan
Isn't this just an extra ground on both yellow and green lead. So you can connect them together an use only one ground (as Paul shows) for both channels.
Not a Snap-on user either :S
Last edit: 7 years 15 hours ago by Dylan.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9280 by ecwurban

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I am not a Snap-on user but I am pretty certain the local earth is there for shielding the signal wire from interference.

Hmm... You're probably right. I've been meaning to do some captures to see the effects of interference on different kinds of leads. Particularly some extra long, homemade leads versus the regular Snapon leads..

Dylan wrote: Isn't this just an extra ground on both yellow and green lead. So you can connect them together an use only one ground (as Paul shows) for both channels.
Not a Snap-on user either :S

With Snapon's scope setup all channels use the reference the same ground. I think pretty well all scopes that use banana plugs are like that. But ya, if it were a shielded interference thing then that would make sense. Otherwise the only reason why you'd need to add anything else to the ground plug is if you're using an amp clamp or sampling an AC signal.

And speaking of interference. Just the other day I had to do a primary current waveform of a coil pack. The only accessible place to put my clamp was near the connector at the coil pack. That meant my clamp was inches away from a plug wire. I got huge feedback into my current pattern. I tried wrapping a rag around my clamp but I doubt that did anything. I'm thinking about trying to get some kind of flexible EMI shielding material for situations like that...

More
6 years 11 months ago #9281 by Dylan

With Snapon's scope setup all channels use the reference the same ground. I think pretty well all scopes that use banana plugs are like that.

Yes sir. Guess I didn't express myself the way I should've.

Test Drive Test Leads for the Snap-on VERUS
www.aeswave.com/Test-Drive-Test-Leads-fo...-on-VERUS-p9036.html

More
6 years 11 months ago #9283 by ecwurban
Yeah, I looked at that set. It's on my list of things to get but there are many things much higher on the list. In the meantime I just made an extension cable to use with the regular test leads. Went with bulk flat-4 trailer wiring and threw some banana plugs on the ends. Works well enough for test drives.

The next thing I want off that site is that cool terminal kit! :cheer:

uTest Advanced Terminal Test Kit

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9285 by Dylan

The next thing I want off that site is that cool terminal kit! :cheer:

Yeah man that looks awesome! ;)

Just watched Paul's latest video and what does he pull out.......yep this kit :lol: :lol:

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Dylan.

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds