A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Inexpensive OBD II tool?

More
7 years 2 days ago #9161 by Scott
I'm having intermittent No Start issues with my 99 Continental 4.6. Fuel & spark seem to check out OK since it never completely dies! It's an original 100k mile car with all original parts, nothing replaced so far, and all service records. Sometimes takes two trys to start, sometimes it takes six trys to start. But it usually starts at some point. is there a good inexpensive OBD II scanner out there that I can buy so I can check trouble codes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9284 by scottberggren
There are tons of cheap ones. Depends on how much functionality and reliability you want.

You can find a lot of the plug in type on Amazon or eBay. Or you can get decent ones at Harbor Freight and save 20% with their ubiquitous coupons.

I searched around and ended up buying a Bluetooth OBDII scanner so I could use my phone. I chose the BlueDriver by Lemur. It costs $99 on Amazon. It's not the cheapest one, but I thought it was worth it to have good software in addition to a quality module. I know Paul uses them too, I've seen them in videos.

A few reasons I got the BlueDriver and not a plug in one:

1. It is one of only a couple that work on iPhone/iPad (if you use Android there are tons of options)
2. Easier to be under the hood and still seeing live data
3. Lets me look at live data while my wife drives and the cord doesn't pose a irritation or safety risk :)
4. In my opinion a scanner or any diagnostic tool is only as good as it's software, I think in the future everything is going to move to iPad/tablets and you'll buy a kit/software package that lets you do diagnostics on your own device. That's my opinion.

Hope that helps!

More
6 years 11 months ago #9811 by Scott
Replied by Scott on topic Inexpensive OBD II tool?
I was just ready to buy the Launch Creader 6001 or 8001 or 8011 plug in. I'm retired and wanted it as easy as can be for me! Reading Scotts take on phone & iPad usage that makes even more sense!! Gotta update my old phone from the 'flip' to the new styles! I'm Getting old I guess.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds