A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Looking For - My Last Diagnostic Scanner

More
1 year 5 months ago #59038 by In My Garage
Despite looing at countless YouTube reviews (usually of "unboxing" which tells me zilch) and not getting the scanner that does "almost everything", I am looking at getting my last diagnostic scanner that does the usual stuff like read and delete codes, bi-directional control, live data, etc...I also want one that does "coding".

My list of diagnostic tools I have so far are:
  • Innova 3030 - a simple code reader that I probably bought in the 1990s.
  • Durametric - for Porsches.
  • Ross-Tech VCDS - for the VW group of vehicles and a great tool especially for the money. Now sold.
  • HEX GS-911 - for BMW motorcycles.
  • LAUNCH 129E
  • MotoScan App - for BMW motorcycle and used with the follow...
  • OBDLink MX+ - OBD dongle used with my Adroid phone or tablet.
  • iCarsoft CR MAX

So I am looking for a scanner that does a lot more than the iCarsoft CR MAX, namely coding. I realize that these upper end units come with updates that I have to pay for (all of the above in my list provide free updates which is what I wanted as a DIYer not running a business).

And since I am not an expert with diagnostic scanners, coding to me means making changes to some of the existing modules in the car. For example, if a turn signal would flash 3 times after a swipe of the stalk, maybe I'd like to change that to it flashing 5 times. Or getting rid of the horn honk when activating the security system in the car.

From those that have used them extensively, I am all ears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #59051 by Noah
To perform the functions you refer to as "coding", you are stepping out of the bounds of what even the best of the best diagnostic scan tools has to offer.
I have seen on some of the more modern cars, there are certain comfort features that can be modified with to the scan tool, like flashing the headlights or horn when locking from the fob, but this is only if the manufacturer has it a programmable option. And even then you chose from a list of actions, it's not truly 100% customizable. Also, just because my Verus could possibly change that setting in the BCM of say a 2018 Tahoe (completely thin air example), doesn't mean the option will be there for my 2006 Honda. Unfortunately, there are a lot of claims in the aftermarket scan tool world, but you really don't know what kind of functionality is available car to car untill you get connected and start pushing buttons.
I have been using Snap-On scan tools my whole career, and the competition has come a long way in recent years, but I will throw my hat in the ring and say that the Verus Edge has only let me down few times, and when it has, it wasn't because the tool wasn't capable, it has generally been functional tests or data pids just not available from the manufacturer.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Noah.

More
1 year 5 months ago #59054 by In My Garage
Much of what you stated I am familiar with for example, if you can do one thing on one make and model, you might not be able to do that on the other make and model simply because the feature does not exist or is "not changable".

Looking at Autel and their Vehicle Coverage list, it shows "Coding Without Rules". Well I know what Coding is, but what do they mean by "Without Rules"? Some owners of the Autel MS906 BT have been able to change the coolant temperature display in a table which I have seen on the forum. The manufacurer of the vehicle thinks it is OK to have the coolant display to stop at 90C or 194F till it reaches 105C or 221F when it updates the display. Basically the reading stays fixed in that zone. I know that coolant display table can be changed. Well as a pilot, I want my instruments reading what the actual values are....same in my car.

As for scanner cost, I am willing to go as high as $1500. I know Snap-On is over the top as they are on most things, although almost all of my hand tools and three of my four torque wrenches are Snap-On.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
1 year 5 months ago #59059 by Tyler
Unfortunately, like Noah said, the only real way to know what scanner will truly do what is to get the tool in your hands and start playing around. For the actual 'coding' functions, I find that make-specific software is the best option. BimmerLink, Forscan, AlfaOBD, VCDS, like that. They're always going to have more tricks up their sleeves than the jack-of-all-makes Autel/Snappy/Launch/whatever.

I also love my Snap-On scanners, despite their faults. :lol: But for your $1500 budget, I'll have to go Autel. The 906 Pro would be my pick. Handy, super easy to use, packed with features. Really underrated, IMO:

www.aeswave.com/Autel-MaxiSYS-ms906-Pro-...c-Tablet-p10102.html

Looking at Autel and their Vehicle Coverage list, it shows "Coding Without Rules". Well I know what Coding is, but what do they mean by "Without Rules"?

That's a great question. :huh: I'd never heard of that before. Could you link an example from the Autel coverage list?

More
1 year 5 months ago #59076 by Judo64
For your information, you need a Bi-directional scanner, which is pricey for a DIY at home. But, you almost need it for newer vehicles that are scanner-dependent to troubleshoot the problem and use the Bi-directional scanner to fix the problem, if it is available for your make/model. Ivan at Pine Hollow on his YouTube videos usually resolved electrical problems without replacing parts. Paul (ScannerDanner) provides a wealth of information and it was always interesting how he does his troubleshooting. Thank goodness that he enabled closed captioning for Deaf people as well as for people with hearing loss.

More
1 year 5 months ago #59090 by fixn_junk
I have been wrenching for a couple of decades and have been independent for about seven years now. I was an ag mechanic for most of my career, even at the beginning of being independent. Due to covid, drought, and the sheer need of an auto mechanic in our little community, I began delving into the auto world. At first, I told myself I would just do diesel pickups since diesel is my world, but that didn't last long. It's been a huge learning curve for me taking on most everything automotive that this community has need of repairing. This website has been a tremendous help to me as I also do not want to be a part changer. That said, I have been using Auto Enginuity for about six years now and it has served me well. There are things I notice that I believe Snap-On probably does better, can't think of a specific instance off of the top of my head, but I have had good success with it. One thing I know it does that some scan tools don't is the quick learn on the 68rfe trans in the dodge diesels. It is also able to modify some of the user adjustable parameters that you speak of, but as others have said, just because it works on one vehicle doesn't mean it will on the next. For example, I can change the placard setting for the TPMS on some vehicles, but not all. I had a gal with a three-quarter ton Chevy that was factory set at eighty psi. She never hauls a heavy load or tows and it rode like a tank. I dropped it to sixty psi so she could run lower pressure without the light coming on and it made a world of difference. I can program transponder keys in some of the Fords. Another thing I like about it is there are no required updates or subscriptions. If you need the updates for newer models, then you can buy the update. It can support all makes and models, including diesels up to 350 or 3500 models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
1 year 4 months ago #59226 by ezimoto
Don't know if it helps but I have an Autel MS909 among other things and this does what you want on Mercedes and BMW, maybe others that I haven't noticed.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59271 by Paul P.
Bang for the buck;

Launch X431 or a Thinktool Pros.

Not too sure about the Autel 906 Pro, but my 906BT, well, I don't like it one bit. Graphing is terrible, the more pids you graph the less pids you get to see. The recording is terrible too IMMO, you can only record what's on the screen. Only 3 pids combined.

Launch or Thinktool you can record ALL the pids in a data section. You can graph up to 14 and combine up to 4 pids. Recording and graphing are superior by far.

I think with Autel features get better as you move up to tool ladder.

The Launch and the Thinktool are about a grand right now. Best bang for the buck and cheaper yearly fees than Autel.

Also way more updates than with Autel I notice, I'll get 2 to 3 manufacturer updates with the Launch line to 1 Autel Update. So that can look both ways, either Autel isn't paying attention, or Launch is playing catch up. Well functionality both those tools can do what each other does, but i love graphing, Launch for me.

I know Tyler and Noah like thier Snappy's, but the C$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$st!

Bang for the buck, I choose Launch any day.

Never stop Learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, In My Garage

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #59509 by In My Garage

Looking at Autel and their Vehicle Coverage list, it shows "Coding Without Rules". Well I know what Coding is, but what do they mean by "Without Rules"?

That's a great question. :huh: I'd never heard of that before. Could you link an example from the Autel coverage list?

Google Autel Vehicle Coverage or...
autel.com/us/vehicle-coverage/

Missed a slew of replies and just came across them.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by In My Garage.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds