A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Checking sensor ref and ground

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #57974 by Rupert S
Hi everyone,
My first post on here.

Question,
When checking the 5v reference and ground on a Hall effect sensor,
Taking a test light from battery + to sensor ground the light is fairly bright . But when taking the test light from battery– to the 5v reference the bulb isn’t as bright.
Is there a reason for this?

Many thanks
Rupert S

Edit: I’ve just realised I’m putting 5v through the test light when checking the ref and 12v when checking the ground!
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Rupert S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #57975 by juergen.scholl
When measuring between B+ and sensor ground the voltage/difference in potential is full system voltage (12V) with the engine off.

The voltage/ difference in potential between sensor reference voltage and B- is only 5V. The lower voltage available makes the testlight shine dimmer in this case.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 7 months ago #57985 by Rupert S
Thanks, I realised my stupidity about 5 min after posting the question and couldn’t see a way of deleting it.

More
1 year 7 months ago #57986 by juergen.scholl

Thanks, I realised my stupidity about 5 min after posting the question and couldn’t see a way of deleting it.

Don't worry, we all do have our moments of glory :lol:

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds