A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scanner Cycles of Misfire Data

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #57940 by rpd14893
Hi All.

I'm new to the diagnostics world. I have been trying to diag two different vehicles. Both are higher mileage with no DTC's. One in particular has a rough idle.

While looking at the engine datastream for both, I am seeing around 100 "cycles of misfire data" on my scan tool as a data point. When I look at the stream for missfire data on each individual cylinder, the scanner shows "0".

I think the data pulled for the "cycles of misfire data" comes from the crank position sensor. But how are individual cylinders monitored by the scanner? Same sensor? If so why is a misfire showing generally but not individual cylinders?
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by rpd14893.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57947 by juergen.scholl
Engine management computers employ different/more than one routines when watching out for misfires. They may distinguish between cat damaging misfires and no damaging ones, there may be weighted monitors averaging x number of engine cycles, there may be a different submonitor which does real time data sampling based on a different number of engine cycles and so on.

The data pid "cycles of misfires" indicates the actual number of completed engine cycles within the applicable algorithm or surveillance strategy. Look at it like a live counter showing the running progress of the routine.

THIS DATA PID IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS MISFIRE COUNTER, IT DOES NOT SHOW MISFIRES.

The misfire data for individual cylinder actually DOES SHOW misfire events as perceived by the pcm. The (still) most common way to calculate and relate these events to individual cylinders is to look at the crank speed deviations and crank position through the eyes of the crank sensor.

When the pcm detects a misfire but is not able to attribute the event to a specific cylinder then a"unspecific" code will be flagged, the famous P0300.

Newer systems do apply much more sofisticated strategies....

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, rpd14893

More
1 year 8 months ago #57948 by Tyler
Juergen is right on. B) For context, what are the year/make/model of the vehicles you're working with?

I usually find "Cycles of Misfire Data" to be a GM thing. If the 'cycles' PID is counting, then I generally figure the misfire monitor is active and paying attention. If the 'cycles' PID isn't moving at all, then I generally figure the misfire monitor has been suspended for --reasons--.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rpd14893

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #57950 by rpd14893
OK great info Juergen that helps clear things up

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #57951 by rpd14893
Tyler the vehicle with the rough idle issue is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has some significant negative fuel trim numbers idle that go away during normal driving. This got me looking at the cycles of misfire numbers but also found an injector issue.

Was also working on a 09 Chevy Impala and noticed the same cycle of misfire numbers when looking at something unrelated and got me thinking if I was chasing a ghost on the first vehicle. So yes a GM vehicle was involved

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds