A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Advice on Snap-On Scan Tool Options

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #57440 by spartan2381
I'm looking to get into my first Snap-On scan tool and trying to decide which of the below makes the most sense. The intelligent diagnostics of the Apollo D9 and Triton D8 seem really good. Not sure if the Solus or Versus has anything like that. Any thoughts on what you guys would recommend out of the below units?

Versus Pro D10
Solus Ultra
Apollo D9
Triton D8
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by spartan2381.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57441 by juergen.scholl
Tell us about your needs....

Is the 4 channel scope that comes with the versus just a nice toy or a must have for you?

Don't get too excited about "intelligent diagnostics", it really depends on YOU!. The component information is a huge time saver imo though.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57442 by spartan2381
I'm just getting into the diagnostic side of things and I have been told that at some point I'm going to need a scope. If I had to answer your questions as if its "need" right now I would say no. The guided component feature seems really helpful especially to me as I learn and start to build knowledege/experiance. Another thing I have been told is that Snap-on likes to kill models after a few years by not providing updates, not sure how tru that is or not. Always seems to be like a religous type of thing with some techs.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57443 by juergen.scholl
Yes, snap on does let expire product lines that could otherwise be maintained working properly and updated imo.

There are many things that come into play when choosing between the mentioned tools, be it money, knowledge, skill level....

You may have a look at the SO website where you can find accurate descriptions on each of their platforms and figure out the differences and pros/contras, relating these Infos to your specific situation.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57444 by spartan2381
Thank you for the input and guidance. I'm leaning towards the Triton.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 8 months ago #57447 by Noah
I have owned Solus platform and Verus platform tools.
Scope aside, the biggest difference is the in the number of pids you can display at once. The Verus gives you more. Also, the Verus is a Windows computer if that helps you out at all. The software version should be considered into the purchase price

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 8 months ago #57449 by spartan2381
The Versus seems really powerful my only concern is that its been around for sometime and not sure when Snap-On is going to cut support even though it semms like the hardware can still be capable of supporting updates. Does Snap-On release any info when they will discontinue updates / support for a platform?

More
1 year 8 months ago #57451 by Chad
The Verus Pro has, already, reached its End-of-Life as far as Snap-on support and updates go. However, that does not mean the tool has lost any functionality, (with the exception of the capability being updated and the on-line subscription features like Suretrack).

Code reading/printing/clearing, Data. pid viewing, Bi-directional control, system resets and initializations, Guided Component Tests... all will, still, function as they always have...up to the year of the installed update.

In my opinion, the Verus Pro is, still, a very solid choice for vehicles up until the Updated version. If you need to diagnose newer vehicles, it might not be your best choice.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
1 year 8 months ago #57452 by spartan2381
Thank you. I may go the Versus route depending on the type of deal. Thank you guys for indulging me on this topic.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57487 by Tyler
Any of the tools you listed would be a fine choice, IMO. I keep a Triton D8 on my roll cart for general purpose diagnostics.

Don't buy into the Intelligent Diagnostics. It's not that intelligent, and stands a good chance of leading you down the wrong diagnostic path. Guided Component Test is worth every penny.

I would strongly suggest getting one with a scope, if possible. You don't 'need' a scope - many professionals have gone their entire careers making great money without a scope. :silly: But being proficient with a scope opens up a TON of testing options. And not just with engine performance, either. HVAC, body functions, ABS, transmissions, all kinds of stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
1 year 8 months ago #57488 by juergen.scholl

Any of the tools you listed would be a fine choice

I would strongly suggest getting one with a scope, if possible. You don't 'need' a scope - many professionals have gone their entire careers making great money without a scope. :silly: But being proficient with a scope opens up a TON of testing options. And not just with engine performance, either. HVAC, body functions, ABS, transmissions, all kinds of stuff.

+1

More
1 year 8 months ago #57489 by spartan2381
I was able to get a deal on the Triton D8 and went that route. With it being a newer platform with support and have a 2 channel scope made sense for. The should allow me to get familiar with scope testing and will chasing that rabbit.

Thanks for all the help guys. This is great community for someone new like myself.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #57492 by Noah
Great, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
If you're an S.D. Premium member, be sure to watch the Verus training series. Most of it will apply directly to the Triton, and it's hands down the best Snap On training you can get online.
And if you're not a Premium member, sign up for the two week free trial, binge the training series and cancel if you don't think it's something you want to continue spending money on. www.scannerdanner.com/scannerdanner-prem...an-tool-classes.html

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Noah.

More
1 year 8 months ago #57518 by spartan2381
Just signed up yesterday. The content is well worth the $11 / month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds