A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Re:Module firmware updates with Forscan

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #57408 by Tyler
Regular Forscan users may or may not know about the Beta version that's been in the works since 2020. It's not available on the main page, but kept (somewhat) hidden in their forums:

forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19552

It's there because one of the features it adds to the already fantastic functionality of Forscan is firmware updates. As in, reflashing, updating module software. Normally you'd need a Ford VCM and IDS or a J-box with FJDS/FDRS for that. :ohmy: Now you can do it with a Forscan license ($12/year), a quality OBD dongle ($50) and your laptop. That makes updates much more affordable and accessible to professionals and DIYers alike.

***Anyone considering using this software should read the provided Programming Guide front to back, top to bottom, left to right. Like any module software update, a good result is not guaranteed. Do this only if you're ready and able to fix it if something goes wrong. If you brick the PCM on your daily driver while double parked outside a friends house in the bad part of town and you work tomorrow, well, it sucks to be you.***

forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751

So how does it work? For testing purposes, I bought a used PCM from a '14 Taurus 3.5L off Ebay for $20. That way the stakes are low if I let the smoke out. ;) The GoDiag GT100 doing a great job as always:

I'm using my OBDLink EX interface for these captures. These are the particulars we get from Forscan out of our used PCM:

One of the big selling points of Forscan is the automated calibration level check it runs, even with the normal version. It highlights the existing calibration (EG1A-12A650-ARA) and points out the newer calibration available (EG1A-12A650-ARB). Very handy if you think a TSB for a module update applies to your vehicle. B) Besides, have you tried using the calibration lookup on Motorcraft Service? It's as clear as mud.

Down in the programming tab, we have the firmware update option:

Once there, we're presented with some options:

Just like the factory tool, an internet connection is needed to download the updated calibration. There's a lot going on here, but lets stay focused. We have a module that needs an update. Once downloaded, we have the green lights showing that the required files are available:

Once we hit Program, Forscan reminds you of programming best practices. Also note the estimated programming time:

After watching the scroll bar for a bit, we're done. :cheer: That was easy!

The calibration check confirms we're at the latest and greatest, and that the module still talks to us:

Overall, a pretty painless process. B) Plus the estimated programming time of three to five minutes was right on. Hell, I'd be hard pressed just to get an FJDS two day subscription purchased in three to five minutes, much less get FJDS updated and running.

It's also worth noting that I ran the programming process repeatedly with both the OBDLink EX and my Autel VCMI (integral J-2534 device). Neither had any issues, and both had roughly equal programming times. Forscan seems to like J-boxes just as well as dedicated USB interfaces? Thus, if you already own a J-box, you likely don't need to buy another device.

So what do you do when something goes wrong? Battery went dead? USB cable got yanked out of the laptop? Forscan provides for that with the Recovery function:

The Recovery option is mentioned in the Forscan Programming Guide, but very little detail is given otherwise. :unsure: How well does it actually work? I decided to f*** around and find out by killing power to the PCM in the middle of the programming:

Whoops! :ohmy: After turning the power back on, I get this:

No CAN activity, no communication, no nothing. Let's see what Recovery can do:

Refer to the Programming Guide for more info. In short, the recovery option tries to catch the module right after a power cycle, but before the corrupted module software has a chance to boot up on its own.

Long story short, it worked. B) In fact, I couldn't come up with a way to sabotage the programming process that Recovery couldn't fix. Pulling the USB cable, taking individual powers or grounds away, taking power away at different stages of the process, adding resistance to the CAN lines. I even used some substitute loads to lower the module supply voltage to 7V during programming. :silly: I could ALWAYS bring the module back to life afterwards.

Now, to be clear, I'm not advocating for Forscan as a factory tool replacement. It's not. Many repairs will still require IDS/FJDS/FDRS to complete. But there's definitely some utility here in specific circumstances.

I'd love to hear any questions or comments you guys have.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl, Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #57415 by Matt T
Interesting. I guess the first question is do you have to give any money to Ford for the updated calibration files?

Second does this need to read the VIN from PCM to work? One limitation of regular Forscan is it does/did need to read VIN from PCM before it'll do anything. Haven't used Forscan in a while so it might allow manual VIN entry now???

I'm wondering if this'll reprogram used modules, subject to the VIN limitation. Might have to deliberately brick then recover???

More
1 year 9 months ago #57416 by Tyler

Interesting. I guess the first question is do you have to give any money to Ford for the updated calibration files?

Negative, there are no additional fees associated with file downloads. The only fee associated is the Extended License for Forscan.

Second does this need to read the VIN from PCM to work? One limitation of regular Forscan is it does/did need to read VIN from PCM before it'll do anything. Haven't used Forscan in a while so it might allow manual VIN entry now???

It's the same as ever, heavily reliant on reading the VIN from the PCM. There's no option for manual VIN entry. :( That's one thing I'd like to see change in future versions.

I'm wondering if this'll reprogram used modules, subject to the VIN limitation. Might have to deliberately brick then recover???

I did briefly experiment with trying to get the VIN to change, or getting Forscan to let me program with a different calibration. Bricked it a few times, changed up the order in which Forscan tried to ID the PCM. Couldn't make it work. :(

I *think* the VIN is stored in the Vehicle ID Block Configuration?

But I don't know that for sure. :silly: And Forscan doesn't allow you to edit most of the data in there. One of the big reasons why there is still no substitute for the factory tools.

Thinking about it now... Forscan keeps a history of previous vehicles. Including the VIN. I wonder if I have a different vehicle in the history that uses the same module? Keep the PCM powered down while Forscan tries to ID it, but turn the power on when it goes to reflash it?

More
1 year 8 months ago #57937 by Ben
Hey Tyler just checking in to see if you got anywhere on changing pcm vin

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

More
1 year 8 months ago #57941 by Tyler

Hey Tyler just checking in to see if you got anywhere on changing pcm vin

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Nope! :angry: :silly: Tried it every which way I could think of. There's just no equivalent in Forscan to the IDS/FJDS 'blank path' programming. Not that I can find, anyway.

I have been pleasantly surprised to find that, most of the time, the latest calibration level available from Forscan is the same level available from IDS/FJDS. In other words, the calibrations available in Forscan are not outdated. I've verified this on a few different vehicles. One exception was a 2016 Focus with a TCM update. The end calibration level after reflashing with FJDS was completely different from what Forscan had available. Again, there's no substitute for the real deal.

Side note, I did inadvertently find that module programming is also supported for Mazda. :huh: I'll experiment with that as the opportunities come along.

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds