A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Using compression tester on exhaust?

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #56948 by ksat22
Just wondering if an old-style compression tester (like the one pictured) screwed into an O2 bung would work to measure exhaust pressure. I guess the one concern I have is the scale on the gauge might go too high to get lower readings accurately enough.

Thoughts?
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by ksat22.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 9 months ago #56949 by Noah
Like you said, the pressure scale is inappropriate.
I use a Harbor Freight vacuum/pressure gauge. I have some fitting I scavenged to thread into an o2 bung, or I'll just drill a very small hole and hold the gauge there, and weld up the hole when I'm done. Had one yesterday, should have taken pix...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 9 months ago #56952 by ksat22
Thanks for responding.

I have one of those gauges, too, but the flutter makes it hard to figure out what the actual reading is. I liked that the compression tester has a pressure holding valve (along with a spark plug fitting that fits in the O2 hole), which made consider using it. Perhaps adding a more appropriate psi-ed gauge to the tool would make it work,

More
1 year 9 months ago #56959 by juergen.scholl
Though an appropriate scaled gauge will work I don't like messing with O2 for back pressure tests at all. Reason being they live in very confined spaces, often times very rusty -and breakable - and hot enough to burn you...

An easy alternative to a pressure gauge would be to connect your vacuum gauge to the intake and watch it's needle while rising the rpm gently from idle to medium range/light load and after a snap throttle. A MAP sensor reading/graph will give the same information.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds