Looking for suggestions for replacement catalysts for 2001 Infiniti QX4 3.5l

• SHIMHEAD
  • Topic Author
  • Big Scanner Danner Fan!!
More
02 May 2019 10:13 #29190 by SHIMHEAD
Hoping to get some input on the best quality aftermarket catalysts for a 2001 Infiniti QX4. I am looking for an exact fit, hopefully using the same OE level sealing methods, NOT a different design poor quality gasket. OE heat shields fitment would be a plus. If anyone has any experience with these please advise!!

"Common sense ain't so common is it?"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
03 May 2019 13:02 #29253 by Tyler
I gotta say, after having installed MANY aftermarket catalysts on most makes/models, they're all garbage. :lol: Some are better than others, but none are a 'good' option. Not what you wanted to hear, I know.

Either the fitment sucks and requires modification, just flat out won't fit, or it comes back with a P0420/P0430. Many shops will play 'parts roulette' with various aftermarket brands, trying to keep the check engine light off because, "OE is too expensive." But it's usually OE that'll keep the light off.

If you're set on an aftermarket option, then I think Walker would be my first choice. Fewest fitment issues, and they *usually* end up lasting. I see RockAuto has Eastern Catalytic and Bosal available for your Pathfinder, but I've never used either, so I have no input on those brands.

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
04 May 2019 12:14 #29286 by Noah
Pretty much exactly what Tyler said.
I've never opened a box with an aftermarket cat and been impressed with quality or fitment, but the Walker has so far kept the light off for our customers. I have had success with cheap eBay cats, but be prepared for a little modification.
If you're friendly with your local salvage yard, they may be willing to sell you the "y-pipe" off of one provided you give them your old ones, but as far as I know the sale of used catalytic converters is frowned upon.
Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

"Learn, apply, repeat."

More
07 May 2019 09:17 - 07 May 2019 09:25 #29361 by Andy.MacFadyen
In Europe replacement cats fitted to vehicles built to Euro 3 onwards have to meet the original type approval specification, but the same suppliers sell non type approved cats. The two products look identical apart from the stamped type approval number and supplied certificate bit don't weigh the same and both weigh less than OEM More generally apart from having less cells and less actual platinum & rhodium I am pretty sure the ceramic is not so robust and less likely to survive a bad misfire.

One trick I have used to get more life out an under performing cat is to use exhaust insulating wrap on the headers this of course won't work on many close coupled cats

" Welcome to the 21st"

Last edit: 07 May 2019 09:25 by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds