Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2002 Chevy suburban coolant leak

More
7 years 3 months ago #5730 by Trooper22
Hello SD or anyone. My name is Ed, Any info will be greatly appreciated.
I just got done watching SD's video on the 04 suburban with the lean codes that was an intake leak.
I have the same issue- rough idle at start, both banks are lean codes in my 02 suburban 5.3.
But the suv runs great once warm once the codes actually cleared but returned the next day for both banks being lean.
My question is I have also been having a small amount of coolant disappear from the overflow bottle. But I have no idea where?!
I do know about the issue with some of the heads cracking, I have not removed the valve to see if my heads have that casting.
My question is could the leak of coolant be leaking into the manifold? Or is that not possible?

Thank you so much SD or anyone's time and knowledge! I great appreciate it!
Have a great day

Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5731 by Dylan
Welcome to the forum Ed! Moved your topic to the repair section ;)

More
7 years 3 months ago #5733 by Trooper22
Thank you so much Dylan. I greatly appreciate it.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5739 by gav09
Coolant doesn't run through that manifold. Check for a vacuum leak when its cold. Intake gaskets are common.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5743 by Trooper22

gav09 wrote: Coolant doesn't run through that manifold. Check for a vacuum leak when its cold. Intake gaskets are common.

Thank you, do you think the missing coolant is most likely the common cracked head?

More
7 years 3 months ago #5744 by gav09
Its possible. I would pressurize the cooling system and check for external leaks. If you can't find any external ones remove the valve covers and look for the Castech markings or signs of leaking there. Here is the bulletin for the head problem.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2008-12-05..._5.3.pdf
File Size:391 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
7 years 3 months ago #5745 by Trooper22

gav09 wrote: Its possible. I would pressurize the cooling system and check for external leaks. If you can't find any external ones remove the valve covers and look for the Castech markings or signs of leaking there. Here is the bulletin for the head problem.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2008-12-05..._5.3.pdf
File Size:391 KB

Thank you so much, I just checked the underside of the oil fill cap and it was a little milky looking.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds