A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Ignition timing/ relative compression

More
7 years 2 months ago #5465 by podhajnya
Hey everyone. This is just a question I have about doing a relative comoression and using a Ignition coils control wire (3wire coil) for checking timing. Every time i try and simulate a no start and check relative compression with Ignition timing my Ignition coil control is way off before TDC. Like very advanced. I've tried this on many cars and I keep getting the same results. It always looks like the timing is off. What am I doing wrong?? Thanks!!!
I've only ever had luck with this when checking with a 2 wire coil and checking current ramp.
Any suggestions please? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #5467 by SniperDan
It is normal to see a firing event occur BTDC. Typically on most vehicles I have done syncing of relative compression and ignition firing events I usually see anywhere from 0 degrees to 20 degrees of advancement during cranking, but this will differ from vehicle to vehicle. The importance is HOW FAR off of TDC the event is taking place, not necessarily that it is perfectly at TDC. There are variables to this of course, as you should pretty much never see a firing event take place after TDC. Setting cursors to determine actual degrees off of TDC is useful to see if ignition timing is in a normal range.

This is a bit of interesting capture using secondary ignition and relative compression to identify a timing problem on a Nissan Frontier 3.3 engine. Another technician performed a timing belt replacement and the vehicle came to me after a severe shake was found at idle following the job. As you can see, every other secondary sync in the capture is actually taking place after TDC, with the other bank firing pretty much right on. This vehicle has one camshaft one tooth off.

"Without data, you are just another person with an opinion."

~W. Edwards Deming
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by SniperDan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
7 years 2 months ago #5469 by podhajnya
ThanKS for the reply!
I understand firing event takes place before TDC. What I was saying is when I do a relative compression and a trigger on ignition control wire , it always looks like the timing is off. The ignition event is close to BDC, always looks way off. And this is always on a know good vehicle with nothing wrong with the timing. I will see if I have any patterns saved to post what I mean

More
7 years 2 months ago #5474 by SniperDan
That would be great if you could! Quick question though, you didn't accidentally invert the capture did you? If you did then your timing would look wayyyyy off, appearing to be at BDC vs TDC.

"Without data, you are just another person with an opinion."

~W. Edwards Deming

More
7 years 2 months ago #5478 by Tyler
FYI, moved this out of Welcome Mat and into Diagnostic Tools.

Welcome, podhajnya! I like where SniperDan is going with his thinking about a possible inverted trace. I'd love to see your captures, too, if possible.

More
7 years 2 months ago #5482 by Dylan
Yes indeed nice thinking SniperDan.
Now we're all curious to see some captures podhajnya ;)

More
7 years 2 months ago #5497 by podhajnya
Thanks everyone. I will get you guys a pic tomorrow!

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds