Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

HI.......I am new in this forum. Crank no start.

More
3 years 11 months ago #38962 by angelcoamo44
Hi......I am new in this forum...My name is Angel Santiago...I am from Puerto Rico. I enjoy learning about car electronics and everything related to
it...I joined the forum and eventually will subscribe to the scannerdanner youtube premium channel so i can learn more about vehicle troubleshooting. Right now i own a 1996 Mitsubishi montero that cranks but no start....has no spark, check engine light does not lid on the dashboard....there is no 5 reference volts at the sensors....and i cannot find the location of the engine power relay, so i can test it. I hope that i will find the solution within this forum and the youtube tutorials....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #38964 by Andy.MacFadyen
First of all welcome :-)
I will move your question into the repair questions section where it will get more response.
If I was working on your car I would do 2 simple tests to find out if your engine wsn't starting because of lack of fuel or lack of spart or lack of both fuel & spark.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 11 months ago #38967 by jreardon
Behind right side of dash, above ECM

The following user(s) said Thank You: angelcoamo44

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #38973 by Potanist
Did I answer this one already in a different thread, lol? Or two people have this vehicle now with problems. I'll tell you what it is right away. You have to get your ECU rebuilt. Age has effected the electronics inside it and there is no way around it. Rather you buying a used one and trying to get it to work with your vehicle only is putting you into the same situation. For your experience though trace the wires and stuff. Mine had no spark via no signal from the ecu. Try these people though because it seems they do your year... not sure who I used. www.fs1inc.com/engine-control-modules.ht...=Rebuild%20(Rebuilt)
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Potanist.

More
3 years 11 months ago #38975 by John Curtis
But to circle around real quick, to you test all the sensors for 5v? The reason I ask is because depending on the sensors you’re checking you may need to unplug before you’ll see the 5V (thermistors)

If no 5V then check powers and grounds for the ECM.

You need to verify your ECU FUSE is good. Mitsubishi tends to throw out a bunch of stuff on one power feed. So if it’s a blown fuse don’t touch anything before doing a visual inspection. Do you have a test light?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, angelcoamo44

More
3 years 11 months ago #38977 by John Curtis

Potanist wrote: Did I answer this one already in a different thread, lol? Or two people have this vehicle now with problems. I'll tell you what it is right away. You have to get your ECU rebuilt. Age has effected the electronics inside it and there is no way around it. Rather you buying a used one and trying to get it to work with your vehicle only is putting you into the same situation. For your experience though trace the wires and stuff. Mine had no spark via no signal from the ecu. Try these people though because it seems they do your year... not sure who I used. www.fs1inc.com/engine-control-modules.ht...=Rebuild%20(Rebuilt)

How do you come to the conclusion that in this case the computer needs to be rebuilt?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, juergen.scholl, angelcoamo44

More
3 years 11 months ago #38993 by juergen.scholl

John Curtis wrote:

Potanist wrote: Did I answer this one already in a different thread, lol? Or two people have this vehicle now with problems. I'll tell you what it is right away. You have to get your ECU rebuilt. Age has effected the electronics inside it and there is no way around it. Rather you buying a used one and trying to get it to work with your vehicle only is putting you into the same situation. For your experience though trace the wires and stuff. Mine had no spark via no signal from the ecu. Try these people though because it seems they do your year... not sure who I used. www.fs1inc.com/engine-control-modules.ht...=Rebuild%20(Rebuilt)

How do you come to the conclusion that in this case the computer needs to be rebuilt?

Maybe he is drawing unlimited conclusions from limited experience. ........

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 11 months ago #39001 by Crombie
Thinking because he said there's no check engine lit on the dash, but I remember checking a Pajero years ago 1996, and Mitsubishi used an OBD2 port, but I couldn't get anything to read it, they were still using their own diagnostics system right before all the car companies were made to use OBD2

More
3 years 11 months ago #39096 by angelcoamo44
Thank you very much for the information .....

More
3 years 11 months ago #39103 by Tutti57
Remember though, that you have to confirm power and ground at the ECM as mentioned. If you have those, then one of the sensors could be bringing the whole 5v ref down.

If you have power and ground at the ECM, start unplugging engine sensors until the 5v ref comes back up then you will have found your problem. Thermistors aren't going to be the issue due to them having a different design as outlined in Paul's book.

If you don't have good power or ground at the ECM, then you have a heck of a good direction to follow!

Nissan Technician

More
3 years 11 months ago #39108 by angelcoamo44
Thank you very much Tutti57 for the information....

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds