Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Howdy from Texas (Lean misfire)

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #38203 by marinab
Howdy from Texas was created by marinab
Hello! My name's Marina. I'm a DIY'er that's been doing what I can when it needs to be done for the past 10 years (or ever since I got my first car). So far I've replaced an alternator, starter, battery, and spark plugs on my 06 Ford Taurus since I bought in 2018. The next thing I need to do is figure out if I have an air leak or need to replace the 02 sensors to resolve some codes I've been getting ever since I bought it. The first thing I did (before I knew any better) was have the catalytic converters replaced with aftermarket, but left the old sensors in because the mechanic said it wasn't necessary. While that did resolve the acceleration issue when going over 50mph, the codes still reappeared after replacing them. So the next thing I did was change the spark plugs, but of course, the issue still remains, as well as the misfires, only there are more of them. So, i'm thinking I need to replace the coil, too. Gonna include some pics with my current mileage and recent code reading for you all. Including pics of current mileage and a recent code print.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by marinab. Reason: added pics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #38204 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Howdy from Texas
Hi Marina Welcome :-) I will move your post into the Repair Questions Section where it will get more attention.
If I were looking at your problem my first suspects would be either a vacuum leak to the inlet manifold or the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) or of both.
These are common issues the usual way to diagnose the issue is look at the live data your OBD2 scanner should be able to give you and also the stored historic freeze frame fault codes.
Fuel trims are how the engine computer adjusts how much fuel is injected to try and correct for lean or rich fueling.
Basically a vacuum leak causes lean condition fault codes at engine idle and low rpm and loads. Often vacuum leaks on Fords are caused by leaks cause by cracked hose connections to the intake manifold.

A faulty or dirty MAF tends to cause a lean condition at higher rpm and engine loads.

There a lot of SD video on lean conditions caused by vacuum leaks and faulty or dirty MAF sensors I look and find the ones that me be of most help to you.

For now try this one

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38215 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic Howdy from Texas
Marina,

The first thing that sticks out as an indication of your problems is the P2195 B1S1 02 stuck lean... with this DTC alone it will trip the other DTC's.

As a DIY'er you probably have several hand tools and the ability to throw parts at the problem and not have any resolve. To do this job, you will need a DVOM and a scantool. Without these you're not going to get far. For now, save yourself some money and stop buying parts.

Advise us if you have any diagnostic tools so we can help you to know what you are looking at.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds