Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Truck repair

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38016 by Mike0907
Truck repair was created by Mike0907
I have a 2001 fi50 with a 4.2 liter v6. I have been having trouble with a start stop and high idle situation and sometimes dies at a stop light but always starts back up. I have replaced the throttle position sensor and checked signal 5 volt ref and ground on the iac and tps and also I have no check engine light. Rhe truck runs really good when I am driving with no sign of a fuel problem and I have no idea where to look next. I am desperate for help for I just bought the truck a few months ago and had to replace the evr and the clips that hold the rods for the intake runner control. Please help. Thank you and god bless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38033 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Truck repair
Hi Moving this to the Repair Questions section where it may get more response.
My first thoughts are what are the short and longterm fuel trims at idle and 2000 rpm for each bank ---- thinking vacuum leak

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike0907

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38036 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic Truck repair
what was the original problem with the EGR?

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike0907

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38040 by Mike0907
Replied by Mike0907 on topic Truck repair
I originally had a code for the evr solenoid because it wasn't controlling vacuum to the egr, so I replaced it and it fixed that problem. I then took of the egr valve and cleaned the stem and seat inside, put a hand vacuum pump on it and it held vacuum all day long. Now I go to start it and it will intermittently will start and die about 5 times before it actually runs. Then when I'm driving I will lose all throttle control sometimes for a few seconds without the engine drying and then it comes back and drives fine. It makes no sense to me. I hope this helps to come up with a solution. Thank you

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #40743 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic Truck repair
Not sure if you found your problem or not but the 4.2 engine has known problems with pcv valves getting stuck causing the intake manifold runner control valves to stick breaking the plastic clips to the imrc controler caused from carbon sludge buildup in intake. Sorry to say you will need to take the lower intake out and clean the runners out along with the ports in the head. Also there is a calibrated gasket that has to be installed after removing egr as it is one time crush style gasket. You will also need to check the egr tube going into intake if it is sealing as corrosion to the egr flange can bow out the flange to the intake if it is a stainless steel tube. Fyi
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds