Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Missing a secondary ignition on the Hantak 1008C but primary voltage is there

More
4 years 4 months ago #35505 by Batiscafo
I have a Six cylinder 1995 4Runner and lacks power. Just changed the secondary wires, plugs and with the Hantek 1008C and the HI Volts probe and the primary coil voltage gives me a cylinder that seems to have no spark.
I cannot make sense of what is wrong. I though it could be the FET at to ECM but if the primary voltage is there how can that be?

Any suggestions?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35509 by Andy.MacFadyen
Don't see many 6 cylinder 4Runners but if it has a distributor like most Japanese cars of that era then it looks like the secondary voltage is going straight to ground via the cap. New cap and rotor arm should be the next step.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 4 months ago #35537 by Batiscafo
Thanks and you maybe right. After lots of reading and analyzing and reading code I think is the distributor that is not producing the signals as normally should do and is is in :”limping mode” if there is such thing in OBD-1.
They say to No disassemble it !!!
I will try to see if the scope gets it, then maybe get a scrap yard one and take this apparat.
It has new rotor, plugs, wires.
Thanks for your time.
I need a schematic diagram of the controls. Any help with that? Bought Hyness but nothing there for the 3 litter engine 3VZ-E

More
4 years 4 months ago #35538 by Batiscafo
Forgot (80 years old), has codes: 12; 14; 24 of OBD-1

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35542 by Andy.MacFadyen
If you have primary its a secondary fault the high voltage is arcing to ground, the distributer cap will likely have a crack close examination of the cap (or may not) reveal a trace of the path the spark is taking. Once the spark has found the path of least resistance the path becomes carbonised and the misfire will continue to take the path of least resistance. It is normal practice to replace the didtributor cap and rotor arm as a pair.

Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35603 by Andrewjames
Is this the diagram you're looking for?
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #35644 by Deltron
I'd want to see an amperage overlay before buying parts

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35667 by Andy.MacFadyen
This is a simple computer coil and distributer system the coil, the coil driver and the cam postion sensor are common to all cylinders. The fault codes are reporting that the engine computer is not detecting a spark event from the secondary side of the coil driver. On the oscilloscope caputure for the misfiring cylinder the coil dwell period can be clear seen but only spark event is missing this indicates a secondary ignition short to ground. As it is a single cylinder miss and the coil is firing on the other 5 cylinders it points to the distributer cap, plug wire and spark plug.

www.picoauto.com/library/automotive-guid...sts/primary-voltage/

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds