Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Misfire and O2 Slow Response

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16482 by Bobby10
Hyundai Accent 1.3lt 2002

P0300
P0303
P0304
P0133 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1

The vehicle has a very slightly misfiring at idle and when you snap the throttle you can feel the misfire intensely.

The vehicle has new spark plugs and wires but the spark plug from cylinder 4, although it had recently been replaced, was black (like burnt).

The costumer said that the spark plug from cylinder 4 has this problem for a long time now.
In other words, even if I put new spark plug on cylinder 4 it will get black (like burnt) in a week.

Can an O2 Sensor Slow Response cause misfire?
Should I just put a new 02?

Fuel injector, compression or O2 slow response issues can cause the new spark plug on cylinder 4 to get black (like burnt) even in 1 week?
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Bobby10. Reason: Now Check Engine Light is ON

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16491 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Misfire
Hi :-) and welcome :-) I will move this post into the Repair Questions section where it will get more replies.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 3 months ago #16492 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Misfire
I think I would start with a compression test or leak down test, misfires at idle that are less noticeable at higher RPM always make me look to valve issues.
Also with Honda engines valve seat recession can be an issue causing the valve clearances to close up.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 3 months ago #16579 by Bobby10
Ok I will check the compression.
Thanks for your answer.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16580 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Misfire
[quote="Andy.MacFadyen" post=16492
Also with Honda engines valve seat recession can be an issue causing the valve clearances to close up.[/quote]

Honda / Hyundai...???

Whatever it is, I second the valve issue

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16782 by Bobby10
Fuel injector, compression or O2 slow response issues can cause the new spark plug on cylinder 4 to get black (like burnt) even in 1 week?
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Bobby10.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16787 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Misfire and O2 Slow Response

bobby10 wrote: Fuel injector, compression or O2 slow response issues can cause the new spark plug on cylinder 4 to get black (like burnt) even in 1 week?

The plug is likely getting black from incomplete combustion. A sticking open, or leaking injector could cause this. Also, low compression, weak spark and probably a hundred other things can also.

It isn't likely that the O2 sensor would, as that would affect more than the single cylinder.

Did you check the compression? Check all 4 cylinders, so we have something to compare to. Check with fuel disabled, cranking the same number of revolutions (at least 6-8 complete revolutions) and with the throttle wide open. Let us know.

I'm still leaning to a valve issue.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16788 by Tutti57
I'm thinking the misfires probably lead to the O2 slow response over time instead of the other way around.

Let's see those compression numbers.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds