Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

03 GMC Yukon no fuel pressure

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15402 by Bigfoote13
Greetings everyone, I have a client that replaced the fuel pump cuz he didn't have fuel pressure but that's not the problem. I I'm not getting any activity, meaning clicking to the fuel pump relay. I have power to it from the fuse but when I inserted power via my Power Probe to the fuel pump I get no fuel pump power. I did lower the tank and the wire is okay through the wire harness, I check the continuity the other two power wires but I did not check the ground though. And I did not verify that the new fuel pump works . Where I'm at now is to check the PCM connection to see if I get any power from that for 2 seconds after turning the key on. The old fuel pump works so I have a problem somewhere else here. I did verify that there is spark as suggested by our leader. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Doug
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Bigfoote13. Reason: Spark update

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15405 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic 03 GMC Yukon no fuel pressure
Welcome Doug! I'm moving your thread to the repair section so it gets the necessary attention. ;)

More
6 years 5 months ago #15413 by Bigfoote13
Oh thank you Dylan I did that in a hurry I appreciate it!

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 5 months ago #15445 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 03 GMC Yukon no fuel pressure

You can do a lot of checks from the relay base under the hood with your Power Probe.
I marked the load side pins of the relay on this diagram piece, 30 is going to be the constant power feed, and should light the red LED on the power probe.
You should find 2 grounds probing the rest of the relay pins. One is the ground for the control side, and the other that I have marked is 87. That's the path current must flow to run the pump.
If the one marked 87 doesn't light the green LED, then the circuit is broken between the relay base and the pump. From experience, it's usually either a bad pump (open windings) or a bad pump ground.
If all that checks out, the final pin is the PCM control for the relay. There should be power there for the first key on pump prime, and while cranking the engine.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #15459 by Bigfoote13
Thank you Noah, that's exactly what I did today before reading your post. Where did you get your diagram from? I got mine off identafix and a suggestion from a previous fix that a person had for testing. There it was backwards from what yours shows, where 87 was the power not 30. Showed 30 went to the pump. At the time i thought it was different. Had to lower the tank again to get to the connector on the pump and the harness and found that the fuel pump was working, just not pumping fuel through. Couldn't hear it activating when the tank was up so had to lower the tank to verify that. Tomorrow I will take the pump back out to find out why it's not pumping gas, probably installed wrong not allowing fuel to pump through from the sump filter. Hope all that made sense. I will post a picture showing the diagram and procedure that I followed to show the difference in what you gave me which is much clearer. Thanks again!

• Noah
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15507 by Noah
It still could be a poor pump ground even though the pump is running. I've seen that on Chevy trucks before.
The power probe isn't a great tool for finding resistance in circuits.

With a scope and an amp clamp, you could measure the current being pulled by the pump, and observe the initial turn on amperage spike to verify the power and ground for the pump.

Without a scope, you could do a ground to ground voltage drop test.

Set your meter to volts dc, place the black lead on a good ground. I suggest using the ground lead from your power probe since it's connected directly to battery negative.

Backprobe the pump ground wire at the pump (or pierce it close to the pump) and connect your positive meter lead.

With the pump running, there should be no significant voltage on the ground wire. A few hundred milivolts wouldn't be an issue, but if you're reading more than say half a volt or a couple of volts on the ground wire with the pump running, there's a problem with the ground. This is a good video showing what I'm talking about.

I'll be honest with you, if I suspect a bad ground, and the power probe is already out, I'll just ground the damn wire see if the truck starts. That doesn't really teach you anything about finding voltage drop, and only strengthens your reliance on the power probe, but sometimes it's just faster in the real world.

I'm also thinking of a ScannerDanner video where his students wired in a fuel pump reverse polarity. The pump would run, had good power and ground, nice amperage wave form, no fuel pressure. He proved it by calculating fuel pump rpm using the current waveform.

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Noah.

• Noah
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15508 by Noah
Oh, and I didn't verify if it was 30 or 87 connected to the fuse, I was just going on experience. Whichever one has constant power leads to the fuse regardless of how I labeled it on the diagram snippet.
That was from Alldata. I'm super happy with the new Alldata system.

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Noah. Reason: Phone emojis don't show up on the forum

More
6 years 5 months ago #15516 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 03 GMC Yukon no fuel pressure

Noah wrote: I'm super happy with the new Alldata system.

I've used Alldata, a couple different times, on the week-long trial. Their wiring schematics could not compare to Mitchell/ShopKey. The last time a salesman called wanting me to "give it another try", I told them No because they didn't compare. He told me they were going through some BIG changes. However, at that time (about 2 months ago), the changes hadn't been implemented, yet. I told him to call back when they made the change.

It looks like it's time to give them another try.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

• Noah
More
6 years 5 months ago #15523 by Noah
They've got a great search engine now too.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15526 by Bigfoote13
Yeah I found out it was a bad fuel pump, actually the guy put a new fuel pump in so I checked all the other connections and relay powers and drowned out and come to find out the new fuel pump wasn't working either so I'm putting another one in. Thanks for all your info.

I've been using Identafix and had a real PITA problem with PDF files not opening up on my browser on my Android devices to be able to view electrical diagrams. But I saw that with the new Chrome and Firefox Beta versions now everything works great. This is going on my second month using identafix and I wanted to try AllData at some point in the Future also. Thanks again for all your great input!

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds