Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Exhaust black smoke

More
6 years 6 months ago #13942 by naros812000
Dears,

I diagnosed a Toyota corolla 2010 1.8L engine with black smoke issue. The only DTC was P0420 catalytic converter issue. I monitored the downstream sensor, it had too much activity on it. So, we replace the catalytic converter. The smoke is less but it is still there.

Fuel trim is within a reasonable range that doesnt pass over 10 (STFT and LTFT).
Black smoke is indication of rich condition. I tested all maf, injectors, air filter, spark plug, COP and even replaced the fuel return pressure regulator. The smoke is still there.

Any suggestion and diag method are highly welcomed.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #13945 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Exhaust black smoke
Is it using oil ? Toyota had cylinder bore wear issues on some 1.8 engines around that model year, over here in the UK they replaced a lot of engines out of warranty as a goodwill gesture.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 6 months ago #13951 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Exhaust black smoke
Moved topic to Repair section.

More
6 years 6 months ago #13964 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Exhaust black smoke

naros812000 wrote: Fuel trim is within a reasonable range that doesnt pass over 10 (STFT and LTFT).

Running rich, with positive full trims.....

I monitored the downstream sensor, it had too much activity on it

How is the activity on the upstream sensor? I would expect to see a pegged rich O2, if it was rich enough to be smoking.

I don't think I believe your Upstream O2 sensor. Can you create a vacuum leak and lean the upstream sensor out, at all? Add propane to the intake? Any reaction?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 6 months ago #14013 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Exhaust black smoke
I'm with pole71, I dunno that the upstream sensor is telling the truth. If you find that it reacts, and that the downstream sensor generally agrees, then I'd question if the smoke really is a result of a rich condition. Possible oil consumption, like Andy mentioned?

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds