A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Hi from GA

More
6 years 6 months ago #13937 by Tjstewart
Hi from GA was created by Tjstewart
Hey everybody! So I got a scan tool question. I'm trying to figure out which scan tool I would need with bi directional control for DIY. I work on friends and family vehicles Domestic and Asian non European. What I'm looking for is the ability to not just read a driveability code. But to actuate individual parts in testing and not just end up changing parts till I find the fix. I realize I can't get in depth as dealer scan tools. But here is the 3 I'm looking at. www.autoenginuity.com/products/oe-level-...rage/gm-family-ei02/

www.ebay.com/i/192312493646?chn=ps&dispI...id%253D1337814199479

m.harborfreight.com/autel-maxidas-automo...is-system-62385.html

Autoenginuity seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for for the price if it works. The one from car care I'm not sure of since I can't find much on it. If anybody has any experience with it? Which leaves the Maxidas I can find it on YouTube performing the things I'm looking for but it's double the price of the other two. So hopefully I can get some recommendations. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #13948 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Hi from GA
Welcome aboard! I'm moving your topic to the 'Diagnostic tools and techniques' section. So it gets the proper attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tjstewart

More
6 years 6 months ago #14059 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Hi from GA
Welcome I have the AET CareCar --- I will tell you the full sp on it once the thread is moved.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14060 by Andy.MacFadyen
The AET CareCar scantool is ............... really not sure.
I have universal model which came pre-loaded with all the manufacturer modules.
The main reason I have it is I mainly work on MG-Rover which is an orphan brand and has non-existent coverage execpt on the most expensive scantools.

I have only used it on ODB2 ISO 9141-2 , MG-Rover, BMW, Land-Rover Nissan and FIAT modes.

The connecting plug is a very loose fit in the 16 pin socket

Software refuses to update --

OBD2 is a bit iffy connection is a bit hit or miss. OBD2 has two options auto detect protocol then select manufacturer or select manually protocol strangely these produce different data lists. As a result if I want OBD2 I use a cheap Bluetooth dongle.

Graphing works but is very small --- graphs and screens can be saved to SD card.

In manufacturer mode MG-Rover mode works up to a point for example ABS diagnostic usually won't connect and bi-directional control won't work curiously If I connect to an MG ZT telling the scanner the car is Land-Rover Freelander 1.8 bi-directional controls works.

BMW mode seems to work okay at least on the E39 and E46--- I can connect to most but not all modules and alter options.

Nissan Note some bi-directional tests seem to work

FIAT Panda wouldn't really play , it may be needs hardware adaptors as they use an odd pinn-out on the 16 pin plug. #

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14062 by Andy.MacFadyen
AET Carecar screenshots

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14068 by Tjstewart
Replied by Tjstewart on topic Hi from GA
Thanks for the info. I was looking to use it first on GM then later Ford for starters but with that putting it at almost half the cost of the Auto and only having limited coverage on two brands I can see CareCare may not be for me. So I'm leaning more towards the Autel DS708

More
6 years 5 months ago #14271 by Tjstewart
Thanks for the info. I was looking to use it first on GM then later Ford for starters but with that putting it at almost half the cost of the Auto and only having limited coverage on two brands I can see CareCare may not be for me. So I'm leaning more towards the Autel DS708
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14273 by Tjstewart
So I asked Autel but have yet to hear back. Besides the added features of shop manager and all can anybody tell me if the maxisys ms906 offers better diagnostic capabilitie over the older maxidas ds708? Or did they lose some ability to add additional stuff? According to Autel the ds708 is discontinued

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds