Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Protege rough idle issues

More
4 years 3 months ago #35664 by Tutti57
If the tank had debris in it that stayed in there between new pumps it could cause early failure.

Nissan Technician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35676 by Toney-z31
Well, I went out and verified there were no clogs in the fuel lines and that fuel can flow freely through the filter. I also back-probed the pump wires with the engine running to rule out any wiring issue.

My question is, wouldn't a bad fuel pump cause an equal if not worse issue at high RPM? The engine is smooth at above 3000 RPM whether loaded or not.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #35684 by VegasJAK
this is why I suspected a weak fuel pump... I'm going to assume you do not have a scope, the reason, you need to check the rpm of the pump. if you have replaced the pump twice now, you may not be getting full amps to run the pump. checking power and ground is not going to give you the full picture of how the pump is working. you can still have a wiring problem in the pump circuit.

if i grabbed this right... check out ScannerDanner video on fuel pumps.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by VegasJAK.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35695 by John Curtis
Sounds like a vacuum leak with the new 02 and fuel trim numbers you posted.
If it isn’t a vacuum leak I’d drive the upstream 02 rich and lean with a test light and see how the pcm adjusts the fuel trims.

What freezeframe data do you have from the misfire codes? sometimes it’s useless but sometimes helpful.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35704 by Toney-z31
Replied by Toney-z31 on topic Protege rough idle issues
Well, I went out to check the O2 voltage when snapped to wide open as per the video (thanks for leading me to it) and the engine died. Fast forward a bit and it turns out cylinders 1 and 2 have zero compression. I guess the engine was that close to death already?

Appreciate everyone who tried to help me with this car.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds