Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Misfire from valve seal ?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31758 by Carstuff
Can you get a misfire from leaking valve seals ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31773 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Misfire from valve seal ?
I suppose it's possible? If enough oil was running down the intake valve and getting sucked into the cylinder.

But, it'd have to be quite a bit of oil. :lol: You'd see smoke out the exhaust. You'd also see oil fouling on the spark plug.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31774 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic Misfire from valve seal ?
Hi carstuff,

Do you have oil smoke in exhaust pipe?

There would be a huge oil leak.

It doesn't make to much sense for me.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31777 by Carstuff
Replied by Carstuff on topic Misfire from valve seal ?
there is no visible smoke while running, only on some startup light smoke. new plug with 0 miles never driven is already black. only from stating it and diagnosis running it. when warmed up misfire on that cylinder . pulled out the exhaust manifold and it was shiny black wet with some fluid droplets the other cylinders were dry black.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31779 by guafa
Shiny black wet = exhaust valve seal?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31780 by Carstuff
you will see droplets of fluid unscented , also notice how shiny and wet it is.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31781 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Misfire from valve seal ?
Any coolant loss? Overheating? Possible blown head gasket leaking coolant into the combustion chamber.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31782 by guafa
I have seen always at starting, mixtute is really rich (first pulses are five o six times wider).

Maybe spark plugs need more time/cycles to get the right color.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31783 by Carstuff
no overheating no loss of fluid. im guess the droplets you see in the video link could be slight water coolant. however it doesnt smell like coolant. its possible it could be coolant not sure. it happens when warmed up assuming when thermo is open allowing flow.

all test done not sure why the ecu is shutting down the injector on that cylinder .

More
4 years 9 months ago #31784 by Carstuff
I have seen a similar issue on another vehicle I worked on with a blown head but it was noticeable due to the piston top being clean and seeing coolant out the exhaust manifold under leakdown test.
however on this vehicle the piston is shiny black wet. unless there is a very small amount of coolant getting in.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31785 by Carstuff
haven't even driven the vehicle since the plug was replaced. the vehicle came in with ignition parts and one new injector so im just backtracking checking things while diagnosing this issue.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31855 by Carstuff
what could these droplets be from the video ? oil wouldn't make droplets I dont think. water does

More
4 years 9 months ago #31856 by PDM
Replied by PDM on topic Re:Misfire from valve seal ?
Coolant leaking into the cylinder like that will just look and smell like water. Fuel will smell like fuel and oil will feel like oil on your fingers. I doubt you will notice overheating or coolant loss if it’s a small leak. It doesn’t take much to wet the plug down and cause a miss

More
4 years 9 months ago #31858 by Carstuff
the droplet doesnt feel oily and It doesnt have a scent to it. im assuming its water. the vehicle doesnt seem to get hot

More
4 years 9 months ago #31864 by simclardy
Did you do a leak down test?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

More
4 years 9 months ago #31883 by Andy.MacFadyen
My first move would be some type of compression test, my money would be on a piston ring problem.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 9 months ago #31903 by Carstuff
I thought compression must be the issue but all the cylinders are about 180psi. leak down test doesnt show any major leakage, similar as next cylinder to it. im guessing lifter issue. I connected a vacuum gauge and when its not misfiring before fully warmed up its in the green indicator when it starts misfiring it drops slighly out of the green indicator range.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31966 by simclardy
What is the vehicle? Can you scope the spark?

More
4 years 9 months ago #32015 by Carstuff
boxster
there is good spark from spark tester . I see that the ecu stops firing the fuel injector it start to misfire.
vehicle came in from 2 different shops with new plugs coil and injector however the misfire stays on the cylinder same cylinder
good even compression on all cylinders. I only notice the oily exhaust port from the missing cylinder.

More
4 years 9 months ago #32021 by simclardy
If it's wet oil, I'm starting to think leaking valve guide seal given the good compression. If it's water, maybe try filling the radiator/reservoir to the top and look for bubbles, or check for hydrocarbons with a gas analyzer. I think the engine can turn off the fuel injector to a known dead cylinder to protect the catalytic converter. It sounds like the injector is a reaction not a cause? Im no expert but those are my thoughts. I would like to know what you find.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds