Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2000 cherokee classic crank no start

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29188 by rmccombs
hopfully I can get some suggestions. 2000 Cherokee cranks but wont start. replaced cps even though I new it wasn't the problem. guess I have an extra now. I have been through almost everything. I get power to asd relay fuel pump, but they do not click on. no 5v ref. no 5v from pcm. I can how ever unplug top o2 jump asd relay and get a 5v ref. still wont start. code that came up is p1694 and the no bus on dash I think its the pcm but don't want to throw parts at it like the cps. thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29193 by chief eaglebear
hi how ya doin good job so far the fact that you do not have the 5 volt ref line is a interesting point I would verify power and powers and grounds to ecm and recheck that if we cant establish the 5 volt ref lines we are in trouble possibly

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29195 by rmccombs
hi im checking things now. I do have power going in the c1 pcm no 5volts coming out. I have checked ccd between dsl and tcm all good. on pcm c3 I have power coming in and out going to asd relay I can jump the relay with jumper wires hooke to relay and get 5volt but still will not start not sure why the relay wont swithch without me jumping it

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29196 by rmccombs
forgot to mention I do have good grounds on the 2 ground wires

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29198 by overdrive138
Did u chk crank sensor from my understanding the car wont run without a crank signal.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29199 by overdrive138
Chk fuses if you havent already

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29200 by rmccombs
I did replace the crank sensor all my tests showed my old one to be good but I replaced it anyway figured that wouldn't be a bad part to have a spare of

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29201 by overdrive138
1. Check the powers and grounds at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the 5v references.

2. Check to make sure that the 5v isn't being shorted. Disconnect the sensors and double check.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29202 by overdrive138
harness right behind valve cover is a likely spot to have shorts from rubbing on the bolts of the valve covers

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29204 by rmccombs
thanks for the help. I am going to double check everything now. I will let you know the results. correct me if im wrong but the 5v that I disconnected were tps,, crank, oil,map and cam not sure if there is another one I missed thanks

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29205 by overdrive138
Did you try unplugging the ckp sensor to see if you have power to asd relay etc with it unplugged?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29207 by rmccombs
put a charger on batt was getting low. with everything un plugged im getting 11v at batt 10 going in the pcm and .7v coming out of the 5v ref

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29210 by rmccombs
I can jump relay with key off I can not jump it with key on
Attachments:

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29211 by rmccombs
I did check fuses. couple days ago had 1 bad fuse 9 15amp in the jb just sayed starting system also tried resetting pcm zipped tied batt terminals together for a couple hours

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29213 by jreardon
Hi. Just trying to follow along with wiring diagrams, which engine? 2.5L or 4.0L ?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29216 by rmccombs
2000 cherokee classic 4.0

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29219 by jreardon
Is the 5V ref .7V because a sensor or wire problem or is it low coming out of the PCM?

One easy test is to cut the wire coming out of the PCM and test there (leave enough wires hanging out of PCM to reattach later). If you don't have 5V coming out of the PCM, then it's a PCM problem. Check power and grounds at the PCM.

Cut those two wires out one at a time and check if 5V comes back.

imgur.com/a/tQBiLwq

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29221 by jreardon
Key off, snip snip, key on, check for 5V and don't let those wires coming out of PCM short to ground.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29225 by rmccombs
I back probed the pcm . Witch leads me to a bad pcm it’s a Motorola has a Chrysler vin looks to be aftermarket not sure. Pulled it apart circuit board like brand new checked all soder

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #29256 by rmccombs
cut the wires no 5v

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds