Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 Tacoma 2.4, No Spark, No Start, Can't Solve. Impossible Fix?

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29228 by brianzero
Thanks for keeping this thread alive, since Ive been taking a break from the truck since being unable to fix this.

I cant get the coil to spark using the t pin and test light method. So, what do you mean by eliminate the black wire from the coil? Do you mean the wire from the tach to the coil? Is there a ohms range to test on that wire?

Is that the B-R wire according to the wiring diagram attached? Its a little confusing, because on the diagram is just an arrow pointing to 'tachometer' with no wire color.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by brianzero. Reason: Wasnt clear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29236 by guafa
Hi brianzero & overdrive.

The fact that there is not spark neither inyection pulse, must keep you focused on pcm signals and voltages (also ground voltages).

Probably root cause why you don't have injection pulse, is the same why you don't have spark.

I would look first for injection pulse (which is much easier to see without scopemeter).
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by guafa.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29297 by brianzero
I disconnected the black wire to the ignitor (tachometer to ignitor) and no change. That black wire has 12v at the tachometer (ignition in the ON position) and is communicating with the ignitor.

Now, whats interesting is that I connected my multimeter to B12 at the tachometer wiring connector (see diagram) and ground. I have OHMs resistance when doing this test. Does that mean that black tachometer wire is grounded somewhere? Maybe at the ignitor?
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29351 by Rallymechanic
Having a read through your post, what engine is this? 2RZFE?
I have had a crankshaft tone wheel break before on one of these engines, so no crank signal, so no ignition or injector pulse.

Pull the crank angle sensor and try and see if you can see the teeth on the tone wheel.
Maybe even turn it over by hand as well, just to make sure it is rotating.
Toyota do have a superceeded part for this.

Best of luck.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Rallymechanic.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29352 by brianzero

Rallymechanic wrote: Having a read through your post, what engine is this? 2RZFE?
I have had a crankshaft tone wheel break before on one of these engines, so no crank signal, so no ignition or injector pulse.

Pull the crank angle sensor and try and see if you can see the teeth on the tone wheel.
Maybe even turn it over by hand as well, just to make sure it is rotating.
Toyota do have a superceeded part for this.

Best of luck.

Yeah Rally, thats a 2RZFE. How did you change the tone wheel? Pull the motor?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29698 by Rallymechanic
Yeah, unfortunately it was engine out and almost a complete strip.
But check your tone wheel is moving before you do this.....if not, then this could be your problem.
Let us know what you find.

cheers

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds