A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

[FIXED] ABS BIAS VOLTAGE

More
7 years 9 months ago #231 by Richey.brown
Hi thought I would share this with you as it was quite a rare one in my experience. Had an Audi A4 with ABS light on. Fault code was open/short N/S/R wheel speed sensor.so checked signal with scope no fault found. Had correct bias voltage and a good ground (compared it to the other side that was not logging a fault). Road tested and found light would come on when I actually came to a stop (intermittently) when I looked closer at the waveform I noticed the bias voltage would get pulled to ground only when the foot brake was applied. Was it a fault in the wiring loom? So I cut the wire at the computer/ pump and applied the brake and the fault was still there. Comparing this to the other side that never showed any fault. Can anyone else think of any variables other than a short inside the ABS module??? Can't be a bad ground as it gets pulled to ground? Can't be a bad power as it wouldn't just effect 1 sensor? And the brake light switch was a pull up design and had been eliminated when I cut the wire? Here is the video

I will let you know when we finally change the ABS module if it fixes the problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #237 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic ABS BIAS VOLTAGE
Hey sir! I think you're on the right track with an ABS unit on this Audi. I've known these modules to fail in various different ways, but this one is a first for me. The way that bias voltage trace stepped down around 57 seconds was WEIRD.

The ONLY other thing I can think of is some kind of resistive short at the ABS module connector itself. I'm thinking of green corrosion between the wheel speed sensor pin and a neighboring pin that happens to ground when the brake pedal is applied. I know, it's kinda a stretch, just thinking out loud.

More
7 years 9 months ago #238 by Richey.brown
Replied by Richey.brown on topic ABS BIAS VOLTAGE
Hi thanks for the advice, but I did perform a visual on the connections inside the multiplug and everything looked good. It was all so intermittent. The only real consistancy was alot of hard stomping on the brake pedal would finally reveal the fault?. Turns out I didn't even need to strip the car to find the fault. I fell in to the complacent trap, assuming it was going to be a sensor,wiring or connection fault.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 9 months ago #276 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic ABS BIAS VOLTAGE
That's a really cool find. Like Tyler said, with the rest of the circuit out of the loop, if it's anything but the module, it would have to be a connector issue. It sure looks like it has to be the module though.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 9 months ago #323 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic ABS BIAS VOLTAGE
I have seen an MG ZT with corroded connector on the Bosch ABS pump-module, I had not disimilar symptoms I didn't have any scantool at the time that would read the system but had to go the voltmeter and scope route.
In the end it was obvious when I eventually pulled the ABS module connector.
I

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

• Noah
More
7 years 9 months ago #330 by Noah

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I have seen an MG ZT with corroded connector on the Bosch ABS pump-module, I had not disimilar symptoms I didn't have any scantool at the time that would read the system but had to go the voltmeter and scope route.
In the end it was obvious when I eventually pulled the ABS module connector.
I

Andy, Welcome Back!
That's about the only scenario I could imagine apart from a faulty module.

More
7 years 9 months ago #335 by Richey.brown
Hi, as I said before I did pull the multiplug and everything looked good. No corrosion or water ingress of any type. Just shiny healthy looking pins and terminals

• Noah
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #339 by Noah
Hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this to the Diagnostic Tools and Techniques section. Just because it's not really a repair question.

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richey.brown

More
7 years 4 months ago #4337 by Richey.brown
Customer finally caved in and brought back car for repair. Sent ABS pump off for test and repair. They confirmed fault and repaired. It was turned around in 3 days with a happy customer at the end of it.

More
7 years 4 months ago #4339 by steve
Replied by steve on topic ABS BIAS VOLTAGE
Nice one, good fix

More
7 years 4 months ago #4350 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic ABS BIAS VOLTAGE

Richey.brown wrote: Customer finally caved in and brought back car for repair. Sent ABS pump off for test and repair. They confirmed fault and repaired. It was turned around in 3 days with a happy customer at the end of it.

Whoa, fix outta nowhere! :woohoo: Five months later, that's gotta be some kind of record around here. Well done!

Honest question: In the UK and Europe, is it more common to send modules like this out for repair, rather than replacing them? Similar services exist in the States, of course, but the vast majority of shops in my area would opt for replacement in the same situation. Not that there's anything wrong with module repair, just curious if there's a different attitude towards it?

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds