Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2008 Grand Prix 3800 cranking no start

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16577 by Tutti57
My mother in law has a cranking no start, fortunately in my sister in laws garage. All I've done so far is confirmed good fuel pressure at the rail. Compression sounds good. No spark.

Initially I'm thinking CPS or CKS, hoping for the cam because it's easier to get to and doesn't require pulling the harmonic balancer and securing the crank.

I am looking at a diagram and have questions about the a b c that I've circled. What do those symbols mean?

I'm guessing A (logic) is saying that the chain starts by seeing a signal on the l bl/wh wire and moves to the left, basically stating that you'll have no cam signal without crank? Total guess there.

Don't know what B is.

C looks like signals.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16578 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:RE: 2008 Grand Prix 3800

Tutti57 wrote: My mother in law has a cranking no start, fortunately in my sister in laws garage. All I've done so far is confirmed good fuel pressure at the rail. Compression sounds good. No spark.

Initially I'm thinking CPS or CKS, hoping for the cam because it's easier to get to and doesn't require pulling the harmonic balancer and securing the crank.

I am looking at a diagram and have questions about the a b c that I've circled. What do those symbols mean?

I'm guessing A (logic) is saying that the chain starts by seeing a signal on the l bl/wh wire and moves to the left, basically stating that you'll have no cam signal without crank? Total guess there.

Don't know what B is.

C looks like signals.

Ok, B is ground. How about A and C?

More
6 years 4 months ago #16589 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:RE: 2008 Grand Prix 3800
C is gonna be the CMP signal itself. FYI, I'm reasonably sure this engine will start and run without the CMP. It's only there for injector phasing, and the PCM will figure it out on it's own if you crank it long enough.

I wouldn't read too deeply into A. 'Logic' just means that the module does its own thing based on inputs and such. It's GM for, "There's a ton of circuits in here that we're not gonna show you." ;-)

If it's no spark, then I'd suggest looking into the 3X signal, as that's the only one required for spark. If you've got the 3X signal, then it may be down to powers and grounds for the ICM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
6 years 4 months ago #16611 by Tutti57
Great info, thank you. I'm going to look back but now that you mentioned that, I believe Paul has a video with this engine as the example, explaining ignition inputs maybe?

The Mitchel diagram has two signal wires on the CKS. One is called low and one is high. Would the 3x be the low and 18x be high?

More
6 years 4 months ago #16622 by Tyler
Yeah, there was a pretty great Premium series on this same setup. Unfortunately, I can't find it you YT or SD.com. :unsure: I'll inquire about that one.

There's also this video that's a bit older, but will definitely help out:

I think you're right about the Mitchell wiring diagram designations, as well. B)

More
6 years 4 months ago #16628 by Tutti57
I'll check out that video.

Here's what I came up with tonight:
- No cam or crank signal on scan tool and no counts on either as well
- Have power and ground on the ICM
- The cks didn't produce a square wave on the signal wires. I only saw a few very small peaks for a moment on initial cranking, then nothing
- I didn't see any voltage on the 12v ref wire but I believe that could be just based on the crank position
- I didn't see injector pulsing. Correct me if my test for this is not correct. I connected my test light to B+ and probed the control wire on the injector. It stayed light prior to cranking and went off and didn't flash during cranking.

Is what I have enough to condemn the crank sensor or does anyone have other tests I should perform?

Thanks!

More
6 years 4 months ago #16645 by Tutti57
Yeah, that video was exactly what I needed. I'm going to do the signal test again tomorrow, then a bypass test.

I'm not sure why my injector test had my test light shining while it wasn't cranking here, then it went off during cranking. I was def on a control wire, going to B+.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16694 by Tutti57
This car has the 3800 series III and while it's a very similar setup to the one in the video, this sensor is a pull-up design. I tested for signal again and got a very small amount of fuzz right away, then nothing. I was able to do a bypass test, which was successful, so the wiring is good. I'm going to call the CKS on this one unless anyone objects to that!

More
6 years 3 months ago #16730 by Tyler

I'm not sure why my injector test had my test light shining while it wasn't cranking here, then it went off during cranking. I was def on a control wire, going to B+.

I've observed the same behavior before, on multiple different makes/engines. I think it has to do with the light finding a ground through the power side of the injector? It never ended up being the problem, so I never took the time to trace it out on a diagram. :silly:

- I didn't see any voltage on the 12v ref wire but I believe that could be just based on the crank position

Are you sure? :blink: Pin N at the ICM doesn't have 12V? That'd be a red flag on the ICM. Or, am I misunderstanding?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16736 by Tutti57

Tyler wrote:

I've observed the same behavior before, on multiple different makes/engines. I think it has to do with the light finding a ground through the power side of the injector? It never ended up being the problem, so I never took the time to trace it out on a diagram. :silly:

Are you sure? :blink: Pin N at the ICM doesn't have 12V? That'd be a red flag on the ICM. Or, am I misunderstanding?

I know I had power and ground at the ICM. I'm not sure what I was talking about there, ha. I'll double check when I go back over there in a bit.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16751 by Tutti57

Tyler wrote:

New lesson learned. Look at the pin out. I thought one wire was yellow but its actually the white/black ref. That does not have 12v on it.

Can I put 12v to that pin and see if that changes anything or could the components in the module be messed up where that might not be of any help? I guess direction has changed to replacing the module here.

Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Tutti57.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16761 by Tyler

Tutti57 wrote: New lesson learned. Look at the pin out. I thought one wire was yellow but its actually the white/black ref. That does not have 12v on it.

Ah OK, glad I asked. :lol: I was looking over your results super closely, because changing the crank sensor is kinda crappy on this motor. Gotta have the special balancer puller and all that. Didn't want to see you go to all that effort for nothing!

Can I put 12v to that pin and see if that changes anything or could the components in the module be messed up where that might not be of any help? I guess direction has changed to replacing the module here.

I guess you could? But I think I'd be more worried about a short to ground at this point. That 12V ref is shared between the CKP and the CMP, and a short in either sensor or the wiring will cause this. In fact, Paul covered this exact issue in a different video. Different engine, but same idea:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16763 by Tutti57

Tyler wrote:

Tutti57 wrote: New lesson learned. Look at the pin out. I thought one wire was yellow but its actually the white/black ref. That does not have 12v on it.

Ah OK, glad I asked. :lol: I was looking over your results super closely, because changing the crank sensor is kinda crappy on this motor. Gotta have the special balancer puller and all that. Didn't want to see you go to all that effort for nothing!

I guess you could? But I think I'd be more worried about a short to ground at this point. That 12V ref is shared between the CKP and the CMP, and a short in either sensor or the wiring will cause this. In fact, Paul covered this exact issue in a different video. Different engine, but same idea:

So you're saying you hold off on replacing the module and check the wires on the sensors?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16766 by Tutti57

Tutti57 wrote:

Tyler wrote:

So you're saying you hold off on replacing the module and check the wires on the sensors?

If im getting power and ground to the ICM and not out, on that 12v ref that goes to both sensors, wouldn't the problem be the ICM? I would think if either of those sensors had a short to ground, I would still have 12v at the ICM pin. I guess I'll have to watch that video you mentioned to understand this.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16768 by Tyler
Yeah it's a bit misleading. It's not B+ 12V coming from the ICM to the sensors. Think of it more like a 5V reference that happens to be 12V.

You could try disconnecting the ICM and checking the reference for a short to ground with an ohm meter. Or, cut the reference wire close to the ICM (somewhere easily repairable, of course), and see if you now get 12V out of the module. If you don't, module time. Of you do, find the short.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Tyler.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16771 by Tutti57

Tyler wrote: Yeah it's a bit misleading. It's not B+ 12V coming from the ICM to the sensors. Think of it more like a 5V reference that happens to be 12V.

You could try disconnecting the ICM and checking the reference for a short to ground with an ohm meter. Or, cut the reference wire close to the ICM (somewhere easily repairable, of course), and see if you now get 12V out of the module. If you don't, module time. Of you do, find the short.

Ok, gotcha. I just hooked the scope back up and unplugged both sensors while watching the 12v ref. It stayed at 0v, so I think that rules out shorted sensors. I pushed and pulled on all of the wires I could find coming from the sensors and module and didn't see squat change on the scope.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16772 by Tyler
You're probably good to go on the ICM, then. I would expect several thousand ohms of resistance to ground with the sensors plugged in.

If you don't suspect a short, then you could definitely try supplying 12V on that wire. Maybe try a test light first? I figure the sensors can't draw more than a few mA.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16775 by Tutti57

Tyler wrote: You're probably good to go on the ICM, then. I would expect several thousand ohms of resistance to ground with the sensors plugged in.

If you don't suspect a short, then you could definitely try supplying 12V on that wire. Maybe try a test light first? I figure the sensors can't draw more than a few mA.

Got it going. Phew. It was the ICM. I cut the 12v wire and still didn't have 12v on it. I installed the new module and still didn't have 12v on it! Checked for power and had now lost that, but I had it before. Blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and started it up.

Thanks for youre help, as usual!

More
6 years 3 months ago #16777 by Tyler
No problem! Glad to hear it's up and running again. :cheer: I'm sure your mother in law will be thrilled.

Just curious, did you ever try supplying power on that 12V ref wire? I've never seen this kind of ICM failure, so I've never got to try supplying a 12V ref before. :silly:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16779 by Tutti57

Tyler wrote: No problem! Glad to hear it's up and running again. :cheer: I'm sure your mother in law will be thrilled.

Just curious, did you ever try supplying power on that 12V ref wire? I've never seen this kind of ICM failure, so I've never got to try supplying a 12V ref before. :silly:

Yes, she is!

I did use my test light on there and watched the data pids. Nothing changed. I don't know at what point I lost the b+ power to the module though.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds