Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6

More
6 years 11 months ago #9698 by toadyboy1957
toadyboy1957 wrote: Since the last time i posted I had REDONE all the wires, replaced the Dustributor and Spark Plugs and put it all back together i get in turned the key on and i hear the fuel pump constantly / try to start it and it wont start i pulled the fuel line off at the filter was a small stream of fuel surely not 50 PSI both front and rear fuel pumps are brand new fuel is coming out at the filter but still wont start .. IT has great spark // any suggestions please and THANKS GERALD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9709 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
What IS your fuel pressure?

"both front and rear fuel pumps"

I assume this is a dual tank truck? I have never had to work on a dual tank system but, my first question would be is the fuel being pumped from tank to tank due to a bad check valve, or something? Do both pumps run at the same time, at any point in the tank switching processs? What kind of stream would you have, running both pumps at the same time?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9716 by toadyboy1957
Replied by toadyboy1957 on topic 1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
i am only using the front tank and have the rear tank as a storage tank only / using an aux pump on the rear tank to get fuel into the front tank the front pump is only 30 psi/if there was a bad ground would it cause the new pump not to pump correctly or would it not pump at all

More
6 years 11 months ago #9721 by Chad

toadyboy1957 wrote: if there was a bad ground would it cause the new pump not to pump correctly or would it not pump at all

Yes.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9722 by Chad
30 psi, as you know, is along way from the spec of 50-60 psi. The question is whether the pump is not producing the proper pressure? Or, is pressure being lost?
I'm not sure of the "plumbing" between the two tanks but, make sure pressure is not bleeding off to the auxiliary tank. Make sure the fuel has no place to go except the fuel-rail. If pressure is not being bled off to the auxiliary tank, and you have no leaks, and you have verified GOOD power and ground,...you have to question the fuel pump. NEW stands for Never Ever Worked.

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 11 months ago #9723 by toadyboy1957
all of the factory plumbing to the rear tank has been cut and blocked off i put 1 hole in the bottom of the rear tank and 1 hole in top of front tank with an aux pump and filter on a separate fused circuit all by itsself.. the factory plumbing to the front tank is original.main line to the fuel rail then return line to the tank with the egr vent in top of the tank im going to try attatching another ground off the wire to the pump to the frame of the truck tomorrow and see if that helps or not but thanks for your suggestions //

More
6 years 11 months ago #9739 by toadyboy1957
does anyone have the correct procedure howto install this new distributor so when i install it this vehicle will run again this distributor is brand nes and i do believe i might not have gotten this distributor installed correctly / i grounded the fuel pump and it cranks like it wants to start but its not started yet can someone plz help with a diagram showwung the correct installation position for this TFI distributor and again thanks for all your help Gerald

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9740 by Chad
Roll #1 up to TDC on the compression stroke. Drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing directly to where #1 would be if the cap was on. As the distributor shaft lowers into the engine, it will turn slightly as the teeth of the gears "mesh up". Take that into consideration when beginning the descent.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Chad. Reason: Typo

More
6 years 11 months ago #9741 by toadyboy1957
here is pictures of the distributor and hamonic balancer at top dead center

More
6 years 11 months ago #9742 by toadyboy1957
pictures
Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #9743 by toadyboy1957
pictures
Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #9744 by Chad
If you are sure you are on compression stroke (remove #1 spark plug and plug the hole with a finger. Roll the engine by hand until pressure forces your finger out), and at TDC (visually, if you can, watch the cylinder come up and VERY momentarily pause be for going back down. (That pause is TDC.)), then, configure your plug wires on the distributor cap to match the firing order in the Diagram. Make sure #1 cylinder is where your rotor is pointing. (in your picture, it looks like the rotor is pointing to #5 on the diagram)

More
6 years 11 months ago #9746 by toadyboy1957
this pointer is on left side of engine if i put it on the numbered marks on right side of engine my piston is on bottom dead center ive checked timing marks on both timing gears i wonder if the harmonic balancer has slipped heres a pic of right side line up marks
Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #9747 by Chad
Does yours look like this?

A google search brought me to this thread on another forum.
stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com...iming-td5027709.html

Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #9748 by Chad
Copy and pasted:

Just check timing on a 93 Ford F 150 4.9L V6. Now theres two places to check the timing one from driver side and one from passenger side, both sides have timing marks. Which side is the correct side to check the timing? I went with the ones on the passenger side.

The passenger side is correct. Pull the SPOUT and check that it's 10° BTDC. That engine family has been around since the mid-to-late sixties, and the driver's side pointer is obsolete and unused since the mid-seventies.

The following user(s) said Thank You: toadyboy1957

More
6 years 11 months ago #9779 by toadyboy1957
The rotor inside of the distributor is in line with the outside marks heres a pic
Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #9809 by toadyboy1957
ok here is a picture of how i have this distributor installed now / according to the diagram posted earlier in this case study//// please check to make sure im on track thanks again
Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #9812 by Chad
That doesn't look too bad. If the #1 cylinder is STILL at TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke, then put the cap on, put plug wire #1 were the rotor is pointing, put the rest of the plug wires on, accordingly. If all is well, it should fire up. If it doesn't, turn the distributor, slightly, one way or the other and try again. It might take a little tweaking of the distributor position to get it to fire up. When it fires up tweak the distributor to get the best idle for warm up.

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Chad. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: toadyboy1957

More
6 years 11 months ago #9815 by toadyboy1957
as long as i use quick start it staryts and runs for 3 seconds then shuts off which tells me i have a fuel delivery issue / i tried for 30 minutes had to use quick start every time but it turns over really fast and all cylinders are ffiring so onto fuel

More
6 years 11 months ago #9836 by toadyboy1957
NO wonder its not pumping new pump ALL crudded up
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds