A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

How can a person get better at reading wiring diagrams

More
6 years 2 months ago #18183 by Jay2034
Hey what's going on guys. I'm new to this forum and been a member of the premium channel. But if anybody has suggestions for me or has done it before or resources I can go to to get better at reading wiring diagrams. I have 4 months of this engine diagnostics and honestly it's going pretty well at the shop. But the shop is very limited in resources as far as scope equipment or guys in the shop with knowledge. We have alldata but I see michell has better diagrams when Paul uses them. But this 04 bmw wiring diagrams for the window power switch is really tough to dissect with a bunch of wires it has on it and really nailing which wire to send 12 volts or ground it. Bosses don't understand that. They just say how can't u figure out how to put the window up. Mind u I'm the youngest guy in the shop and the guys with 30 or 40 years of experience can't figure it out either. It's just frustrating with the pressure and the lack of resource we have there and really no one to turn to as far as other techs because they are just parts changers and throw parts and after three parts thrown at it then the fourth one is the problem. And the bosses don't care because they see money coming in but it is biting them in the butt with all the comebacks these guys are having and then the boss throws it at me and expects me to figure it out. It's just really frustrating and I don't mind the challenge but if anybody knows of resources,books, training courses, or something i would greatly appreciate it. I'm studying everyday even when I come home from work. Paul is the best teacher I've had and really grateful to be part of his premium channel. Thank u guys. By the way I live in new jersey just in case if anybody knows anything in my area. And who knows maybe I can meet some of u guys if ur from around here and become good friends and help each other out when we have problems. Thank u and God bless all of u

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18189 by Noah
Once you realize that no one in the shop can help you anymore, this is the place to be. I also suggest joining iATN if you're not already a member.
Something i learned from years of salvage yard work is that the heavy gauge wires do the the work. (Everyone else probably learned this in school or from a mentor, but you gotta take what you can get). If you pull a door panel off and there's 4 wires or 10 wires going to the windows motor, the fattest two run the motor.
This helped me when I was starting:
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...dAKst5gYpi1rNXWrY89s
There's also a great premium video about reading diagrams, I'll try to find the link...
Also, sometimes I'll print my own diagrams to have in front of me while watching Paul's case studies (yeah, i know, I'm a nerd lol) so you can see for yourself how your service information lays things out compared to his. After all, you have to use your info everyday.
I would like to say that Alldata has greatly improved their service and diagrams ;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Noah.

• Noah
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18190 by Noah

• Noah
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18191 by Noah
This guy is a little dry, but good info here too
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAvS7dDmw...FRnE2eR3eEwdxd9fu7lX

More
6 years 2 months ago #18195 by Jay2034
Thank u Noah so much. So since u said I am In the right place when I can't learn from anybody in the shop. Do I go to this forum and post a question to help with a car problem or is there a direct line I can call. I'll do my research and attack the problem but sometimes I just need a second opinion and that's when a fellow tech can come in handy so two minds can come together and come up with a solution. Thank u

More
6 years 2 months ago #18210 by Chad
What model '04 BMW?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 2 months ago #18216 by Jay2034
04 bmw x3. Driver door window doesn't go back up

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18218 by Chad
I'll see if I can find more on the Drivers Door Module.

As far as how to get better at reading wiring diagrams, just keep doing it. It's, really, not as confusing as it seems at first. Access to GOOD schematics is a must. I, highly, recommend a subscription to ShopKeyPro.com. If you are going to do this sort of thing, everyday, for a living, you need SOMETHING. I used to think that I couldn't afford the $169.00/month. Now, I KNOW I cannot afford NOT to have it.

This might help you get started.

A quick google search find MANY more symbols.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18219 by Chad

Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #18220 by Chad
I'm not finding anything on the Driver's Door Module OR Connector X887. :dry: I think, that is what you are, really, after. :(

More
6 years 2 months ago #18221 by Jay2034
U don't know how grateful I am that u can look this up for me. The alldata wiring diagram looks nothing like this. I take it that this is from shopkeypro? My friend as I was looking at this bmw yesterday and I had no power going to the switch so then I had to go find the location of the fuse box and that 7.5 fuse was blown. I'm like great this window should work fine. But before I did that I said since I'm still here let me put the fuse in and verify it doesn't blow again. Because I know better that fuses just don't blow on their own and for no reason. So with my multimeter I checked on the fuse and no power going in for both ends. So I'm like no way. I pop the fuse out and gently checking both pins and one has 12.1 and the other has 1.2 volts in the fuse box. Now she has dealt with this issue and has taken it to this place she knows that whenever she by accident puts the window down this person can pull it back up. Now I don't know if this person grounded or shot 12 volts to the wrong wire and blew out the fuse and messed up the fuse box driver but definitely u can go straight to the motor once u know the system and shoot power to raise the window. So I showed the bosses this and to address this issue and that I would need more time but she couldn't wait and will bring it monday. How do u think I should attack this issue cause this will be a tough call the fuse box. And this doesn't look like a couple bolts hold this fuse box and boom it pops off. Lol. Freaking bmw makes things so complicated. Any advice my friend. Like I said in the beginning of my post I'll do my research and get to the root but if i need a second opinion this is where I stop and ask for advice. This is where I'm at with this my friend. If i had this diagram at my disposal yesterday it wouldn't look so difficult as a pose to the alldata. And this has colors too. Lol. I gotta talk to the bosses to switch to shopkeypro. Thanx again my friend God bless

More
6 years 2 months ago #18223 by Chad

Jay2034 wrote: Now she has dealt with this issue and has taken it to this place she knows that whenever she by accident puts the window down this person can pull it back up.

If you just need to get the window up, you can apply power to the BLK/GRN wire on pin 6 (at the motor, or pin 14 at the General Module Control Unit) and a ground to the BLU/GRY wire on pin 5 (at the motor, or pin 7 at the General Module Control Unit). This will either make the window go up or, make it try to go down farther. If the latter is true, Reverse power and ground.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18224 by bruce.oliver
I think alldata uses OE diagrams where Mitchell/shopkey redraw all their diagrams so that they are the same across all manufacturers but they leave out some details that may be needed sometimes.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18225 by Chad

bruce.oliver wrote: I think alldata uses OE diagrams where Mitchell/shopkey redraw all their diagrams so that they are the same across all manufacturers but they leave out some details that may be needed sometimes.

That is true. AllData's selling point is that their schematics are UN-altered Manufacturer schematics. Mitchell's are MUCH easier to use. The colored lines. Highlighting circuits. With a Click, you can make all circuits that are not relevant to your diagnosis disappear. Making it MUCH easier to follow. And, the way Mitchell indexes their schematics, it makes it A LOT easier to find what you're looking for, IMO. All that is a plus. BUT, as bruce.oliver stated, sometimes, they not only leave out some details but, they are WRONG. Not a lot. But there ARE instances.

Overall, my vote goes, hands-down, to Mitchell. (ShopKeyPro is, acutally, Mitchell. But, it is provided by snap on)

More
6 years 2 months ago #18228 by Jay2034
Thank u once again guys. So what bout the fuse 7.5 that inside the box that only has power on one pin and the other has 1.2 volts. How can I attack that. But yeah pole thank u again take care my friend

• Noah
More
6 years 2 months ago #18230 by Noah
Just gonna jump back in here quick and say that Alldata now has interactive color diagrams and oe.
The search function is great now also. I used to despise all data, but it's what we have. Now it's very easy to find what i need.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

• Noah
More
6 years 2 months ago #18231 by Noah

Jay2034 wrote: Thank u Noah so much. So since u said I am In the right place when I can't learn from anybody in the shop. Do I go to this forum and post a question to help with a car problem or is there a direct line I can call. I'll do my research and attack the problem but sometimes I just need a second opinion and that's when a fellow tech can come in handy so two minds can come together and come up with a solution. Thank u

I meant more in the sense that when your realise you can no longer learn anything from the people in your shop, this is the place to come.
I remember everybody looking at me like I was speaking nonsense when asking the people I work with how to use fuel trims on the scanner....

You can post repair questions to your hearts content in the "post your repair questions here" section of the forum. Just keep in mind, you won't always get an immediate response. We all have full time responsibilities, but try to help on the forum when possible.
There's a great group of super smart, respectful regulars here.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18238 by Chad

Noah wrote: Just gonna jump back in here quick and say that Alldata now has interactive color diagrams and oe.
The search function is great now also. I used to despise all data, but it's what we have. Now it's very easy to find what i need.

I have heard that. I think, I am going to take it for another test drive. B)

More
6 years 2 months ago #18249 by ScannerDanner

pole71 wrote:

Noah wrote: Just gonna jump back in here quick and say that Alldata now has interactive color diagrams and oe.

I have heard that. I think, I am going to take it for another test drive. B)

He brother, I sent you a PM

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
6 years 2 months ago #18250 by Jay2034
Hey what's going on Paul. Usually I always email u but thank u for taking ur time for the PM. But what's a PM? And how do I check it. Lol. I'm so serious

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds